Build my castle to the yellow jackets drone
    I could orbit round the sun fight with General Washington
    Or be a king upon a golden throne
    It wasn't fancy built at all we had newspapers on the wall
    It was air-conditioned in the wintertime
    Oh it was just an humble hut but its door was never shut
    And a man could get inside without a dime
    Don't let them tear...

We’ve had this outhouse as a decoration for as long as I can remember. I don’t know whether it came from Michaels or if we picked it up at some little gift and craft shop in North Carolina or Tennessee when we first started going to the mountains. It originally held a place of honor on top of the bathroom vanity until my wife re-decorated and then it was banished high on top of the bookcase in the living room. But the point is that I was never able to complete the scene by having it occupied. So a couple of weeks ago I decided that it needed a customer and the only way to get it accomplished was to carve it myself. After taking some preliminary measures on the size of the seat , I worked out a rough pattern and then glued a couple of 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” pieces of practice block together. It wasn’t until I had it roughed out and gave it a dry run that it dawned on me that the “little house” is built out of proportion. To paraphrase Roy Schneider in the movie “Jaws,” "we're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat!” My little man fits the facilities perfectly but obviously he doesn’t have enough headroom. His problem will be the same problem that squids have been experiencing going through bulkhead hatches for 100’s of years. It’s duck or crack your head. Oh well, you just can’t win them all!

Nature Calls (1) (Medium).JPGNature Calls (2) (Medium).JPGNature Calls (3) (Medium).JPGNature Calls (4) (Medium).JPGNature Calls (5) (Medium).JPGNature Calls (6) (Medium).JPG
    Attached Files

At least yours has a wide door good job on not only the carving but the verse
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Did you spend more time on the wording or the carving? They pair well together.

Comment

Love it and, that song still sticks in my bean every so often ,.. Thanks for NOW will humming and thinking for several days. ,Not to say a great carving to make a neat project well done. Incidentally, none of ya'll have not had thee pleasure of freezing in one of these lil brown buildings, ya missed out on life. Cheers
        Last edited by NoDNA; 04-28-2019, 07:03 PM. Reason: Incidentally etc..

Comment

Great one Eddy. I have one to make on my list but it keeps dropping in priority because of other carvings. However, you have just moved it up and will take a stab at one soon. You did a nice job and lots of nostalgia with those "things." My Dad told many stories and one of his yearly chores was to move it and fill in the hole...of course, lots of "quicklime."

Nice carving, fits the poem nicely. Nice mood lifter. Fun one!
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Good one, Eddy!

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Oh yes, I remember it well. Good one Eddy.
                Joe

Comment

I am laughing out loud, Eddy!
                  Herb

Comment

Good one, Eddy! He needs a bear outside the door!

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
                      At least yours has a wide door good job on not only the carving but the verse
                      Thanks Joe but I can't take credit for the verse. It's an old ditty that has just stuck with me. "The song Ode to the Little Brown Shack out Back was written by Billy Edd Wheeler and was first recorded and released by Billy Edd Wheeler in 1964."

Comment

Originally posted by RayV View Post
                        Did you spend more time on the wording or the carving? They pair well together.
                        Ray.... As I told Joe, the verse is not original. Just one of my favorite ditty's when singing to myself!

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                          Love it and, that song still sticks in my bean every so often ,.. Thanks for NOW will humming and thinking for several days. ,Not to say a great carving to make a neat project well done. Incidentally, none of ya'll have not had thee pleasure of freezing in one of these lil brown buildings, ya missed out on life. Cheers
                          Thanks DNA. You can call on me to provide an old ear worm anytime you feel the need! As to freezing certain portions of the anatomy off while using the little brown facility, I sure am glad that I experienced it as a young man and not an old fart! I'm afraid frostbite would become a problem these days!

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                            Great one Eddy. I have one to make on my list but it keeps dropping in priority because of other carvings. However, you have just moved it up and will take a stab at one soon. You did a nice job and lots of nostalgia with those "things." My Dad told many stories and one of his yearly chores was to move it and fill in the hole...of course, lots of "quicklime."

Nice carving, fits the poem nicely. Nice mood lifter. Fun one!
                            I agree with your Pop! Moving an outhouse is second only to cleaning out a septic tank. I helped my dad move our outhouse in northern Vermont a number of times. There's not much dirt and even less perculation up in those granite mountains which means that the holes filled up rather quicky. When I was a kid I also helped him clean out our septic tank in Connecticut . Odiferous jobs that all youngin's should expereince at least once in their life. When you're knee deep in poop it's pretty hard not to be humble.

Comment

I prefer the the folksy Wheeler version.

Comment

Working...
                              X