Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving books!

Question/Survey

What is your favorite caraciture carving book? Why is it your favorite? Would you suggest this book for beginners or only more experienced carvers?

Let's make this a helpful thread and if you can't pick one dont be afraid to list them all. Thank you for your participation.
    GFHWoodWerks
    Novice Carver
    Exploring all I can in this artform.

Good carving books cannot be all things to all people.
    First, identify the appealing carving style.
    Then the books that recommend the relevant tools for that style are few and far between for some.
    Learn to draw and learn to draw well. They are good carvers.

I have several dozen books of wood carving in the general style that I admire. Some are documentary references, some are lessons in carving, some are lessons in drawing.

The "Carving On The Edge" Festival has ended recently. It was done in Zoom for the first time
    so many, like me, were able to "be there."

This is the link to the first of 5 presentations in carving with hand tools.
    The rest should be appended.
    Watch all of them. Some really neat stuff (textured surfaces) is buried in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tdJ...hHWu12&index=2
    Brian T

Comment

I would say that my favorite carving book is Jack Price' Carving Small Characters. It is a great book for beginners to get as it teaches how to carve a face, and how to carve a caricature in no time at all. It is the book that started me down the road to caricature carving about 20+ years ago.

Comment

This caraciture carving book I found helpfull. I used it more for carving faces and detail in walkingsticks. The second book focus is walking sticks. Both offer clear information on tools and techniques.
        You may also fined Harold Enlow's books helpful.

51u5QDxXEzL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 51npB9lgEIL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
        Last edited by Randy; 05-03-2021, 08:51 AM.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Dave Stetson's book is very good

Comment

I have the stenson book on order. Along with a few others.
            GFHWoodWerks
            Novice Carver

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
              ... my favorite carving book is Jack Price' Carving Small Characters. ... It ... started me down the road to caricature carving ...
              I agree with TBox61. At my first carving show, I saw JP's book and it sold me on carving lil' characters. Eight years later, I'm still doing them.

IMG_0174.JPG

Rodster
              https://rodster.ca

Comment

I have started watching the "Carving On The Edge" Festival videos. They are very informative to me. I recommend them to anybody regardless of your level of experience.

Thanks Brian T

BobL

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
                  I have started watching the "Carving On The Edge" Festival videos. They are very informative to me. I recommend them to anybody regardless of your level of experience.

Thanks Brian T

BobL
                  I too started watching them. Have to say I agree totaly, having only seen the first video.
                  GFHWoodWerks
                  Novice Carver

Comment

Good to hear GFHWoodWerks!

BobL

Comment

Some great suggestions. For those who want to design their caricatures (vs following a pattern) “Thinking Inside the Roughout” and “Caricatures in Motion” are wonderful books for inspiration and tips. They are not how-to books but you can learn a lot from the examples and the thinking process. Both are from Caricature Carvers of America.
                      Always covered in chips.
                      My Instagram page: @carvingjunkies

Comment

Working...
                      X