Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay! I Did My Part. Now, Who's Going To Paint Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay! I Did My Part. Now, Who's Going To Paint Them?

Okay, in the interest of openness, I'll be the first to admit that it doesn't take much to get me feeling low. I've had that problem for 50-years, ever since leaving the military. And during my younger years it used to be a bear to control because I never understood what the problem was or even admit that I had a problem. It was easier to just withdraw into myself with sleep, frustration and anger. I think every door in the house as well as the kitchen cabinets and the refrigerator had the imprint of my fist in them. It wasn't until I got help from the VA and joined a martial arts school that I began to turn things around. The VA helped me with my head and the martial arts was a outlet for my pent-up frustration and anger. But as we all know, nothing is forever in this world and our lives are much more dynamic than we'd like them to be. After retiring and especially as I aged and became less able to continue to perform in the martial arts as previously, I needed something to occupy my mind and my body to help keep the demons at bay. About 30-years ago I bought some land in Tennessee and my wife and I built a cabin on it. But about 10-years ago we started having medical issues and our trips to paradise came to an end. However, during that 20-year period of spending months up at the cabin I picked up a hobby. I finally found something that I could do to keep my mind busy. And the answer of course, was carving. And as my world shrinks smaller and smaller I fall back more and more on my carving to keep me going, to keep my spirits up. The only problem is that in just a short time my carving gets ahead of me and then I'm stuck with finished pieces that need to be finished! I'll tell you folks, it's a heck of a conundrum!
    Someone Has To Paint These.jpg

Yiks...history. I study martial arts also... and taught for 20 some years. I was so busy in life I did not think ....was major in the art world and I traveled and trekked. Everything ended when I could not get up out of my chair and walk with pain at the ripe old age of 48, went to the doctors they screamed bone cancer, threw me into crutches and I never returned to old normal again. Did not have bone cancer, but the hip bones had holes and medicine gave me a wheelchair. My whole world was turn upside down when they announced I had an extreme form of arthritis. The struggle to do things anyway became a motto in spite of continued getting worst bone issues. In time and surgeries got out of the wheelchair seven years later, moved out of the city....continue to do art for me,...and sold on commission. I fixed up my home even though I was told that was impossible due to damaged bones, continues new bone issues.... and here I am. I carve and do art because that is what I do best in spite of a body that is major messed up and does not want to work. I continue to seek and find things to keep my spirts up, not easy when you're in major pain,.. but do it anyway. Life really is not about what I can not do but what I can... life's joys come from simple things that matter. Like fruit on tree I grew, the smile of a pet in total joy, the fresh air on my face, and the home I have built slowly as a turtle but pretty darn good. I am out of the weather, a cup of coffee in the early day, and the peace of mind that I have created in spite of it all. Carving is an art and it does matter in this plastic world of ours otherwise we would not have it in museums....folk and otherwise. So yea Eddy I know what you are saying.

Comment

Yikes!... Eddy, I love to carve and I enjoy painting 'em, but I had to impose some rules on myself a few years back. I now never carve more than 3 ornaments without stopping to paint. Doesn't matter if I plan to carve a dozen Santa ornaments, I still stop and paint them after I've carved 3. I found if I carved too many before painting, I would feel overwhelmed and get discouraged and then it was a struggle to do a good job ......... but that's just my quirky way of doing things... ...
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

You have been busy! Looks like a painting party is in your future.

Comment

Herb is the lucky one
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice little collection of finished carvings, Eddy! Now, on to the rest of finishing!

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Eddy, Get the brushes and paint and get with it or just soak 'em all in BLO and call it done
              Herb

Comment

Originally posted by uvawyo View Post
                Eddy, Get the brushes and paint and get with it or just soak 'em all in BLO and call it done
                Herb.... I really don't have anywhere to store or use BLO but I have been giving serious thought to applying some Americana gel stain and and calling it a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                  Yiks...history. I study martial arts also... and taught for 20 some years. I was so busy in life I did not think ....was major in the art world and I traveled and trekked. Everything ended when I could not get up out of my chair and walk with pain at the ripe old age of 48, went to the doctors they screamed bone cancer, threw me into crutches and I never returned to old normal again. Did not have bone cancer, but the hip bones had holes and medicine gave me a wheelchair. My whole world was turn upside down when they announced I had an extreme form of arthritis. The struggle to do things anyway became a motto in spite of continued getting worst bone issues. In time and surgeries got out of the wheelchair seven years later, moved out of the city....continue to do art for me,...and sold on commission. I fixed up my home even though I was told that was impossible due to damaged bones, continues new bone issues.... and here I am. I carve and do art because that is what I do best in spite of a body that is major messed up and does not want to work. I continue to seek and find things to keep my spirts up, not easy when you're in major pain,.. but do it anyway. Life really is not about what I can not do but what I can... life's joys come from simple things that matter. Like fruit on tree I grew, the smile of a pet in total joy, the fresh air on my face, and the home I have built slowly as a turtle but pretty darn good. I am out of the weather, a cup of coffee in the early day, and the peace of mind that I have created in spite of it all. Carving is an art and it does matter in this plastic world of ours otherwise we would not have it in museums....folk and otherwise. So yea Eddy I know what you are saying.
                  Dileon..... I finished reading a book the other night in which the hero was quoted as saying "It's not how many times you get knocked down in life. It's how many times you get back up! That's a old and well known quote but as we age we seem to comprehend the real meaning off it and appreciate it even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                    Yikes!... Eddy, I love to carve and I enjoy painting 'em, but I had to impose some rules on myself a few years back. I now never carve more than 3 ornaments without stopping to paint. Doesn't matter if I plan to carve a dozen Santa ornaments, I still stop and paint them after I've carved 3. I found if I carved too many before painting, I would feel overwhelmed and get discouraged and then it was a struggle to do a good job ......... but that's just my quirky way of doing things... ...
                    Soggy... Great rule but for myself, easier said than done. In the martial arts, many styles and forms are called moving meditation. That's sort of where carving takes me. Painting, although I love the finished product, is more like work, whereas carving is a form of meditation where I just get lost in my own world with my piece of wood and my knife.

Comment

Hi Eddy
                      Our whole life is a whirlwind of coping with constant change. For me getting out for a walk in the wild with a rifle in my hands just enjoying nature reprograms the mind. Like you as my world begins to shrink I have gone to some pains to find the things to do that give me satisfaction and a sense of achievement. Like you carving is one of those things and it comes witha world wide support group of like minded individuals. Perhaps you can make a new friend and team up with someone local to do the painting. Sharing what you do with someone somehow adds value to it. Music in the playing, listening and making instruments is another to do thing that is a lot of fun.

I have a motto I live by. Don't ever give in on what you want to achieve. Not ever. Just find another way to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                        Hi Eddy
                        Our whole life is a whirlwind of coping with constant change. For me getting out for a walk in the wild with a rifle in my hands just enjoying nature reprograms the mind. Like you as my world begins to shrink I have gone to some pains to find the things to do that give me satisfaction and a sense of achievement. Like you carving is one of those things and it comes witha world wide support group of like minded individuals. Perhaps you can make a new friend and team up with someone local to do the painting. Sharing what you do with someone somehow adds value to it. Music in the playing, listening and making instruments is another to do thing that is a lot of fun.

I have a motto I live by. Don't ever give in on what you want to achieve. Not ever. Just find another way to achieve it.
                        Glenn... Thanks for the input. I belong to our local carving club but haven't participated in years. I cherish the camaraderie that the club provided but I don't drive that much anymore so it's difficult to attend any of the carving sessions. I know **** well that all I'd have to do is ask and anyone of the members would be happy to stop by and pick me up but the truth be known, I can't sit and carve for 3-4 hours at a time. Even here at the house I never carve over an hour at a time. So hitching a ride, while a possibility, is just not an attractive or comfortable alternative. I use to think that I might be able to get one of my seven grandchildren involved but that never happened and with all of them now are deeply involved in their own lives so it's safe to say that they have little time for carving or painting even if they wanted to try it. Nope, I'm just going to have to kick myself in the posterior and follow Herb's advice. As for music, you're preaching to the choir. Music of all genres has been a big part of my life since I was a kid, from listening to 33-1/3 rpm records on my folks windup Victrola to present day with over 27 GB's of playlist on my computer. As a youngster I taught myself to play a harmonica and as a young sailor I taught myself to play a guitar while on deployments. Stay safe and thanks again.

Comment

Do not have to leave the house, in fact, the doctor stated there is a pandemic going on. I know people who stay home right now because they can. And some of them are creating the best work of their lives. One gal I know has not left her house since the beginning of the pandemic and learned how to make her own cabinets which are outstanding. As this is not over with yet....there is time to do and learn new things and create anything. Another wrote two of her best books during these times of ours.
                          Last edited by Dileon; 10-12-2021, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you Eddy for this post ! Alot of things said I relate to after recent retirement , I strugle to carve, along with most everything thing else in a shrinking world as i knew it. The carving community as been and continues to be the best group of people anywhere. Im blessed to be apart of it.
                            peace
                            https://www.facebook.com/baggerleather/

Comment

Great post Eddy. I too can Identify, played music for 60 years, and have carved since 1981. In a microsecond 2 years ago, all that went bye-bye in a car accident. Music (guitar) is done, but after a couple years of therapy, I'm at least back carving. Good thoughts go out to all, none of us are getting younger.....
                              Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

Working...
                              X