Clear All

• Rglideride
    replied
    Small is hard! Great work!

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodster View Post

Great work! I wonder how you were able to make the nose so prominent, on a small piece of wood? Is it because the nose is pointing up?

Have you done 4" figures using the 1" x 1" pieces of wood? Or is 2" better, to keep everything in proportion.
    Hi Rodster. Yes it’s prominent because it’s pointing up and because it’s rather bulbous. I actually just loaded a free nose carving tutorial page that might give you some insight on my process on my website (https://www.carvingjunkies.com/how-to-carve-a-nose.html). I typically use 1 x 1 x 3 inch blocks but you can go taller or shorter like this one was. Hope this helps! P.S. I find a straight edged knife (I have 2 from OCC Tools) works best to avoid crumbing on the small blocks.
    Last edited by JerseyGirl; 11-15-2021, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    Originally posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    I have kid-sized hands so it’s actually easier for me to carve the small ones as I prefer to hold my carvings vs using a vise. They go pretty quickly too I find so you don’t need all that patience!
    Great work! I wonder how you were able to make the nose so prominent, on a small piece of wood? Is it because the nose is pointing up?

Have you done 4" figures using the 1" x 1" pieces of wood? Or is 2" better, to keep everything in proportion.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi JG, you deserve those Kind Words and thank you for your good Wishes. Merle

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Merle Rice Thank you so much for your very kind words. You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi JG, I don't know how I missed seeing these Cute little Carvings . Your Knife Carvings are always Great . Your Detailing and Painting shows off your Talent . Merle

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Soggy View Post
    Love 'em !... it must take a lot of patience ( and really sharp tools) to carve such detail in that small of a carving. The painting is great too !
    Wayne
    I have kid-sized hands so it’s actually easier for me to carve the small ones as I prefer to hold my carvings vs using a vise. They go pretty quickly too I find so you don’t need all that patience!

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    More great suggestions and thanks for the kind words. Thanks Soggy JoeVM DiLeon yolli and tbox61

Leave a comment:

• JoeVM
    replied
    Cute little figures and good details, great job!

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Those are really cute. Yea photos show you things you do not notice. Sometimes I will take a picture to see what I missed before it is totally finished or what I need to do.

Leave a comment:

• yolli
    replied
    I like them

Leave a comment:

• tbox61
    replied
    OMG, those are terrific! I started out carving Jack Price' little guys, but upscaled the pattern as I got older! One other tip I might offer is that I take a 1"X1" square of green Scotch Brite pad and put it in my Dremel at low speed. It does a great job of getting in the cracks and crevices and takes away the fuzzies.

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Love 'em !... it must take a lot of patience ( and really sharp tools) to carve such detail in that small of a carving. The painting is great too !
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
    JG,

Cute carvings.

Do you wash, lightly sand then seal and lightly sand before painting? When I get fuzzies it is because didn’t follow my processes. Now I don’t use paint so assuming that paint would raise fibers just like washing. MTCW
    I’ll have to try this, thanks. uvawyo Claude Glenn Jennings Tom Ellis thanks for looking and the positive comments!

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Jersey Girl
    Just so cute!! Great colour. The painting just brings them to life. Nice carvings!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X