Have you ever tried to carve a balut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever tried to carve a balut?

I'm in the process of attempting to carve a couple of hillbilly eggheads out of goose eggs.. Earlier in the week I did the male which didn't turn out too bad and yesterday I worked on the female. However, on the female I have never ran across a goose egg so pithy and miserable to try to carve. It almost chips out before I put the knife to it. I tried alcohol and water but that just makes it worse. I swear that this thing had to be a "balut" in it's former life! In a short while I'll sit down and see if I can save her but I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to chalk it up and start over with a different egg. I wish I could remember where this goose egg came from. I use to get all my eggs from SMWC's but have since thrown on a couple of eggs when ordering from other carving suppliers. At about this point I feel like the egghead!

Lol, "a balut"! If that doesn't make your stomach flip, I don't know what will!
    Arthur

Comment

Had to look at g**gle translate what a balut is??

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
        Lol, "a balut"! If that doesn't make your stomach flip, I don't know what will!
        Arthur.... Then are we to assume that you've tasted one?

Comment

Originally posted by yolli View Post
          Had to look at g**gle translate what a balut is??
          Yolli..... There is no adequate definition or description to truly describe what a balut is.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Arthur.... Then are we to assume that you've tasted one?
            No, thank God, but one of my sons married a girl of Philippine extraction, and her parents explained it to me. My son had the opportunity to try balut on a subsequent visit to the Philippines...he declined, lol! I gag just thinking about it! But Eddy, have you tried balut?
            Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

No, thank God, but one of my sons married a girl of Philippine extraction, and her parents explained it to me. My son had the opportunity to try balut on a subsequent visit to the Philippines...he declined, lol! I gag just thinking about it! But Eddy, have you tried balut?
              Arthur... I'm so glad you asked. The simple answer is yes but the "key word" , like your son, was "TRIED!" There was a time, like so many of us, that I was very young and very stupid and while on liberty in Olongapo on the way back to the ship, being very, very, drunk, I was dared to try one as I and my shipmates passed a street food vendor. It went down fast but came back up even faster. And the amount of wisdom that I gained that night is astonishing as I never had the inclination to try it again. Back in the states about 30-years ago I was invited to a birthday party for the Philippine husband of a co-worker. The buffet table was covered with strange looking Philippine dishes including balut and whole baby octopus cooked in their own ink. Needless to say that I ate very little during the party.

Comment

I had to look that word up too, and now I wish I had n't.

Comment

I nearly tossed my cookies watching someone else eat one during a Chief initiation! No thanks!
                  Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

I never had the courage (nor drunk enough...) to try balut. I liked a lot of dishes from the Philippines, but not that one. About the most adventurous I got was "monkey meat on a stick" in Olongopo (we all figured it was cat...)

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                      I never had the courage (nor drunk enough...) to try balut. I liked a lot of dishes from the Philippines, but not that one. About the most adventurous I got was "monkey meat on a stick" in Olongopo (we all figured it was cat...)

Claude
                      Claude... I don't think there's a sailor that ever crossed over the "$#@% River" bridge that didn't try a stick of monkey meat on the way back to the base after a night of catting around and getting pie-eyed on San Miguel or Philippine Rum and Coke. I always figured that it was monkey meat from the texture but I'm not real sure what was in the hamburger (?) that I ordered at a restaurant on Magsaysay. I do know that I never ordered meat in town again. If I needed a meal while on liberty I went to the dungaree liberty restaurant on the base or to the Sampaguita EM Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Reed View Post
                        I nearly tossed my cookies watching someone else eat one during a Chief initiation! No thanks!
                        Gave new meaning to the term "getting a hair stuck in your throat!"

Comment

I ordered eggs from Amazon for gouge handles, perfect shape $10 for 6

Comment

OHMGolly , of all the "things" I have eaten, This doe's not sound too bad. BUT IMHO not this week.!! Live baby octopuss and Sticky Beans in Japan.. Was enough.
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                              OHMGolly , of all the "things" I have eaten, This doe's not sound too bad. BUT IMHO not this week.!! Live baby octopuss and Sticky Beans in Japan.. Was enough.
                              Chuck
                              I couldn't get past the taste and texture of the Japanese natto, In my mind to much like trying to gag down Durian. However, the fresh sashimi octopus dipped in shoyu wasn't all that bad. Just chewy as hell!

Comment

Working...
                              X