Accidental lookalikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental lookalikes?

I have done a couple of carvings that remind me of someone, usually after I have finished them.

One old lady became Whistlers' Mother, and another became the weary lady with the two kids from the famous photograph of the dustbowl.

The one I have included is an early carving that is not quite finished. I tried to carve a couple of round eyeballs, but they need finishing. It started out as a Santa, then turned into a Viking.

About 10 years ago I went to Transylvania for a conference, and while I was there I visited Bran Castle, which was one of the homes of Vlad the Impaler, who was used as a basis for 'Dracula'.

Anyway, I was lookimg at this carving when I thought 'I've seen that wierd bulging eyes look somewhere before'

I give you Vlad the Impaler.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Pete

Re: Accidental lookalikes?

HUmmmmm Pete! It does look like the olde Dracula!! Forrest

Comment

Its happened to me just recently.About a year ago a neighbor gave me two adult mt bikes (he up graded) so my wife and I could go biking with our kids.So I decided to carve him a walking stick (he is an avid hiker)and the face I carved looked like him so much so that he asked if it was him . so I told him the truth that it took me longer to find a picture of him than to carve the stick. then I told him the real truth that it just turned out that way. It was uncanny how much it looked like him. Maybe I did it subconsciously.

Comment

Hey there Pete, I can't see what yer doin wrong, but, whatever it is "KEEP DOING IT" WOW, the first one is amazing, detail is spectacular. Like I said, who cares who they may look like they are great. Thanls for posting.
        Cliff

Comment

Pete... first stay away from my neck! I find a number of the carvings I've done suddenly look like someone I know, usually after I'm done I'll just be looking at it and there they are looking back.

Great work!

Comment

My wife seems to think my carvings are "self- portraits".

Mike G. in SC

Comment

Originally posted by PeteM
              I have done a couple of carvings that remind me of someone, usually after I have finished them.

One old lady became Whistlers' Mother, and another became the weary lady with the two kids from the famous photograph of the dustbowl.

The one I have included is an early carving that is not quite finished. I tried to carve a couple of round eyeballs, but they need finishing. It started out as a Santa, then turned into a Viking.

About 10 years ago I went to Transylvania for a conference, and while I was there I visited Bran Castle, which was one of the homes of Vlad the Impaler, who was used as a basis for 'Dracula'.

Anyway, I was lookimg at this carving when I thought 'I've seen that wierd bulging eyes look somewhere before'

I give you Vlad the Impaler.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Pete

OH YA!!!!! it's happened several times to me.....I was carving a face for a cowboy and instead it looked almost exactly like the carpenter that we hired to build our 4 season addition......This fellow is so SCOTCH, in that, I mean he's close with a buck. When he was working for us his shoes had worn out, but rather than toss them and get new, he had the old ones wrapped with duct tape. And the right leg of his denim jeans, were slit from the knee down to and thru the bottom hem.....so the body that I carved for the head, shows those details

Comment

Working...
              X