Buttons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buttons??

This is a rather silly question, but does anybody have a good technique for carving buttons? I frequently have difficulty making them round and also making them all the same size. Sometimes, I pop them out. Any suggestions other than the obvious -- practice??? Thanks

Re: Buttons??

For small buttons, I use a nail set. Just push down and it will leave the imprint, then you can carve around it if you want. For larger ones I use a leather punch, the hollow kind. I would imagin eye punches would work also.

Comment

or you can work in reverse using a drill bit...gives the illusion of buttons :
      "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

In the current issue Carving Magazine, Old Don used a tool to make Santa's buttons. I forget if he said what it's called but it's basicaly a round gouge that he used like a nail set.

mikeg
        Mike B

Comment

a hollow punch will do the trick to make the circle, but remember to rock it a little before pulling it out of the wood otherwise you risk the chance of taking the plug out and only having a hole (learnd from experience!)

Comment

I like to use finish nails. I pound on the point and drive in the nail head. The nail head has a concave surface and it gives the nice round effect. There are so many sizes of finish nails that you can always find one that fits your carving and it is a lot less expensive than a nail punch or eye gouge.

Comment

For larger carvings, I use an eye punch or a leather punch. I am careful not to push too deep with the punches as already explained by others.

For smaller carvings (which is what I do most often), I use a knife to cut out the button 'manually'. I do this with a series of 4 small triangles around the area where I want the button to be. I most often leave the corners - but sometimes will try to round the button a little. The key is having the little triangle holes to give the illusion that the button is separate from the shirt.

On the minatures, I just do one small triangle to simulate the button more with a hole than an actual separate piece.

Comment

My 2 cents worth, or what its worth...

from a hobbie shop localy, i bought pin tubing, you can get it in verious sizes. of brass tubing, from where only a straight pin will fit in, to 1/2 inch,,

i cut off a small length and fit a piece of dowell on the end for a handle and use it like a palm push chizzle..

if your hobbie shop dont have pin tubing... in emergency i have use the brass type ink refill for a ball point pin,, scripto brand is usualy 1/8th inch... or light house for the blind products..

just another cheap idea,,

i didnt know there was such a thing as an eye gouge.. ?? :P except in wrestling...ha

Comment

they have two different types of eye gouges, oval and round and about $35 a set of 4 if I remember right...have looked at them, but 35.00 will buy something else I want more :P
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Once you have made your button, by what ever method you choose from above, be sure to take your knife and cut in a small wedge to represent the 'botton hole' sticking out the edge past the button.

Comment

Dave check Harbor Freight.com I think I paid about $5 for a set of 6.

Comment

use your number 9 gouges...any size[glow=red,2,300][/glow][glow=red,2,300][/glow]
                        they make a circle....
                        just remember to cut with an outward motion.....if you go in on both sides they just pot out
                        e-mail me and I will send you a photo..step by step
                        Havea nice day
                        Will

Comment

You guys are great! Thanks for all the great ideas!!! Now, we have to take a poll

Comment

Working...
                          X