Jack Price Farmer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Price Farmer

This is my first Jack Price character. Looking forward to painting it. Any tips on painting the eyes? Do you just put white paint on both sides of the V cut and the same for the iris?

Terry

Re: Jack Price Farmer

Very good job. It looks just like the one Jack carves in the book and in his video. You have some nice clean cuts there.
    Yes, the normal way is just paint the eyes on. It is hard to get a dab of white in the V and have it look round. I have taken to rounding the V eye socket a little with a Dockyard tool. It makes it easier to paint the eye.
    Keep up the great work.
    BobT
    Anthony
    Corryton, TN

Comment

Thanks Bob! I've been wondering about that because I've seen carvings that look like they've had a gouge run through there. Might give that a try. I'm kinda paranoid though about screwing it up at this stage. But I've got most of the dockyards, including the smallest gouges (which I used on the nostrils) so I'll think about it and see if I can work up the courage.
      Terry

Comment

Yes, it looks very clean. He will look great painted.

Comment

Hi Terry,You have done a great job of carving. Nice clean cuts and deep. It looks like soap, and that's good. Merle

Comment

nice looking farmer good clean cuts

Comment

Kris, Merle, Dave, thanks a bunch!

Soap eh? Those Heinecke folks sell pretty good basswood, that's for sure.
              Terry

Comment

Beautiful job Terry, He looks like he walked right out of the book. They just get better from this point.
                I just cut out a little pyramid shape to create a little shadow in the eye area, and it looks pretty good.

Keep it up, Tom
                If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks Tom. Appreciate the input. Your wee carvings have really motivated me.

I decided to open the V cuts a bit and use a gouge to cut some eyes.

Terry

Comment

Jack was the first instructor I had in 1984 in Colorado. I have since taught the class over sixty times, but most of all, I have carved 1886 "compact characters" in my 25 years of carvig!

So, get going! My only criticism on yours is to not have a hard carving line on each side of the nose going up to the brow. Our skin is stretched over our nose and that line makes a hard shadow where there should not be one. Use a small gouge, or a "swinging cut" to get rid of the wood in that area.
                    Sharon

Comment

Nomad,
                      Nice job on your little farmer. Can't wait to see it painted.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by whittlewomen View Post
                        Jack was the first instructor I had in 1984 in Colorado. I have since taught the class over sixty times, but most of all, I have carved 1886 "compact characters" in my 25 years of carvig!

So, get going! My only criticism on yours is to not have a hard carving line on each side of the nose going up to the brow. Our skin is stretched over our nose and that line makes a hard shadow where there should not be one. Use a small gouge, or a "swinging cut" to get rid of the wood in that area.
                        Sharon
                        Thanks Sharon! That is a great tip!
                        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dellinger View Post
                          Nomad,
                          Nice job on your little farmer. Can't wait to see it painted.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark
                          Thanks Mark. I think I'm gonna stop right here with this one and throw on some paint.
                          Terry

Comment

Terry, that is a great job on the carving. I love carving Jack's caricatures they are so much fun, and require very little material. I noticed that your carving is exceptionally clean Great work.

Sean

Comment

I don't know what would be the most carved subject, Jacks farmer or Harold Enlow's Rufus. They are both classics. You did a bang up job Nomad!

Corey

Comment

Working...
                              X