Bear whittlin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear whittlin'

I haven't had a lot of time for carving recently. I like finishing projects, so I like doing these lil guys since they don't take a lot of time. I'm also trying to improve the faces and I think the last one is pretty good. I think, though, that I'm going to take this 2 foot long dowel I have and practice just the faces. The head's still a bit too square.

Anyway, these four are carved from limbs. From left to right, sycamore, sycamore, Bradford pear, and (I think) apricot. Eyes are glued-on basswood. All finished with Howard Feed 'n Wax.

I suppose I should learn to cut the branches straighter to avoid the leans.

I really like that apricot. It cuts easier than the pear, and looks great. But then, I like the look of all three of these woods.

Re: Bear whittlin'

Jim, This seems to be a great little project. Nice little whittlings.

Tom H
    http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree . nice whittlings .. they looked like alot of fun to do

Gene

Comment

Jim,
        I like all of them.

Comment

Jim,

Nice group of bears. I agree, I like the last one best also. Really like that grain. Looks similar to some of the apple that I have carved.

Safe Carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

Neat little group of bears, Jim.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I really do enjoy making these. They're not high art, but lots of fun. And I don't have trouble finding material to work with.

I wonder if I could do a picture tutorial on making these . . .

Comment

They look good, well done

Comment

I like em, nice litle bears. You used some hand aching hard woods there, Jim.
                  Buffalo Bif
                  www.bflobif.com

Comment

Neat lookin' bears Jim! I like them eyes!

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments.

bflobif: Actually, the woods aren't that bad. The sycamore, especially, carves very well. The pear is a bit harder than either of the others, and the apricot is somewhere in the middle. Harder than basswood, of course, but not too terribly tough. Sharp knife and thinner slices . . .

High praise, Eddy, master of bears. Thanks. The eyes are kind of neat, although I think they're more of a crutch right now because I have absolutely no skill at carving eyes. That's one of those things I need to practice. 'til then, I'll glue 'em on!

Comment

Jim... Like George! George washington that is.... I can not tell a lie! I couldn't carve an eye if my life depended on it. As far as I'm concerned that's why they invented Dimensional Acrylic paint. It's great for bears, birds and whatever!

Comment

I like them....they would be better if you made their muzzles more mail-box shaped. Then they would lose the doggie-look. Just a little help to improve them.
                          Sharon

Comment

Jim, those are top notch dogs. I've still got the one you did for me and love him. I really like the smooth feel of the wood.
                            Ron T.
                            http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Pretty neat Jim. Don't worry about tilt, in fact I would do more with tilt. You might also try leaving some bark on - just to see how it looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X