X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    Re: Fergus

Mark, Your work is a joy to look at. Work doesn't get in my way, but it takes some time getting through your website. Congrats on all the awards.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied

Hi Mark, Your carvings have such Great Detailing, Movement and Expression. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Carver Eric
    replied

Absolutely perfect!

Leave a comment:

• tributesinwood
    replied

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. Good to hear from each of you again. I'm also glad that I'm not the only one out there still trying to fit my carving time in edge-wise...but, retirement is out there somewhere I know.

'Fergus' was a fun carving to do although, at first, it looked like it was shaping up to look more like a flying pig than a hound in the wind. It finally started taking shape and I was happier with it.

The dock is just a flat piece of basswood where I carved concave planks and a few irregular splits. You probably also find that when you make irregular splits and uneven patterns in a planked base, it just makes it look more appealing. The piers with the 'rope' additions are separate pieces of basswood and are fitted into and glued onto the sides of the dock.

I had also carved a coiled rope to lie on the platform but once I had completed the carving the rope seemed to take away from the little dog as the focal point, so I left it out.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Excellent carving, Mark! Now that I'm retired, my carving has increased from around 2 hours per day to about 2.5 hours per day! Honey-do's and other tasks seem to keep me busy...

Claude

Leave a comment:

• rkentmoore
    replied

Mark,outstanding carving.Really admire your style.The action and personality really set this piece apart.Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Atv rider
    replied

Mark great job On fergus also congrats on the ribbon in niagara I went early Sunday sorry I missed you I hear you with the work thing keep up the good work

Leave a comment:

• GinnytooU
    replied

Mark, you amaze me with your style of carving. It is top notch. No one can do what you do to a piece of wood. Excellent as always. I love Fergus. Ginny

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied

Fergus is outstanding! Cute little guy and what action you put into him! Extremely well done and I am in awe of the dock as well! I'd love to know how to do that!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied

Excellent job on Fergus!! I have the same problem you do, this pesky thing called "work" gets in the way of all the things I want to do!!

Leave a comment:

• draft51@aol.com
    replied

I certainly love this dog, a great carving. fred k

Leave a comment:

• BrandantR
    replied

Now that's one happy looking hound! Masterfully done, my friend.

Leave a comment:

• efmaron
    replied

Nicely done, wonderful scene

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    Fergus

I like Fergus and it's interesting to see him standing at the end of the dock, perhaps looking at his reflection in the water. A well done piece of work. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied

I had seen Fergus on your website. Liked him then and like him. Really a wonderful carving.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X