Everyone loves a banjo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone loves a banjo...

Here's something a bit different for you. I'm carving a banjo-playing-hound for a friend and although the main carving isn't completed, I wasn't able to wait any longer to get started on the banjo. Made from oak, shiny finishing nails, aluminum tape and fine wire. This was just a ball to carve and dress up. Mark.

Re: Everyone loves a banjo...

Mark banjo looks great can't wait to see the finished piece the metal detail is very nice

Comment

Mark that is just great! How did you get the aluminum tape tape (not even sure what it is) to take the detail? I'll bet you would be wick on a old style Gibson mandolin . Can't wait to see the finish project . . .JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks ATV and Joe. That metal work was a lot of fun. The tape comes in a number of brands...the roll that I happen to have in the shop is Scotch brand. Although it says electrical tape ( applications ) on the roll, I've usually seen this highly polished tape on ductwork and HVAC jobs. It has a very aggressive adhesive back and can be burnished, or smoothed out, by rubbing on it to remove any wrinkles. Following that, I just used a counter sink tool ( for countersinking nail heads ) that happened to have a nice round pattern on it to make round circles. You just need to gently press into the material to leave an impression. You'll want to find a reason to use this method on your next carving...it's fun and it looks great.

Comment

wow this is going to be a mastepiece mark

shakey

Comment

That's a beauty. You could almost play a tune on that.
            Joe

Comment

That is really cool. I really like adding things like that to carvings. Great job. I'm going to get some of that tape and give it a try. Looks fun.

Comment

That's a fantastic piece of work!

Comment

Fantastic Mark, How does it sound? I suppose his favorite song is " I ain't nuthin but a hound dog"

Hardy ho ho, Tom
                  If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Awesome, I love the small detail!
                    Bob
                    A daily dose of laughter relieves stress and brightens our metal outlook.

Comment

Your banjo turned out pretty nifty. Thanks for sharing the metal duck work tape method you used. Another method to add to ones bag of tricks.

Comment

Just great carving,Mark. fred k

Comment

Great looking banjo sorry i missed you in pickering congrats on your winners there enjoy looking at your work

Comment

Love it! Way cool! Can't wait to see the hound strummin' away.
                            Terry

Comment

Good lookin' banjo. And the technique is a great one. I've done a few banjo players myself holding 5 string instuments and that tape would really be a good addition. Thanx for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X