Flat plane Mounty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat plane Mounty

This is an effort to do a nice flat plane carving. I generally go a little too far with my rounding, so on this one I tried to focus on keeping some flats. A friend sent me this pattern, and I am sure it is a Refsal pattern.

Bass, five inches tall, and painted in acrylics.

Thanks for taking a look, Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Re: Flat plane Mounty

Side
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Back

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Before paint

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Wow, nice job Tom. Definitely a Refsal.

IMO I think more people should add their own character to FP- I don't think he's too round at all. I especially like your face, you softened it nicely.
          Buffalo Bif
          www.bflobif.com

Comment

Thanks Brian, The sand o flex sort of softens the entire carving, but I do still have some flat areas.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

That was the second thing that I thought;He used the Sand of Flex on it! Looks great was the 1st thing I thought! I love his cute little face and you did a tremendous job of painting him.

Comment

Cool little carving Tom.
                Dave
                https://www.facebook.com/baggerleather/

Comment

Thanks Deb, I didn't even break his hat brim. I may have to do a rounded one just to show the difference.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks Dave, glad you took a look.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Good carving especially good hat What is sand o flex?
                      Herb

Comment

He looks great tom would of looked better if he slipped in my tomz sharpener package when you sent it out lol very nice little fellow well done
                        Rick

Comment

Thanks Herb. I got turned onto the sand o flex by Lynn Doughty videos. It is basically a flap wheel sander with eight sections, and brushes behind the serrated sandpaper. They work really good to finish off a carving. Check out Lynns videos. PM me if you have any questions.

Hi Rick, thanks for the comment. Sorry, he wasn't even started then, now you have to do one of your own.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hate to throw a rock but the term is "Mountie" for a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
                            Wonderful carving to remind me of my nephew in the force. With his dress boots and hat on, he's dang near 7' tall! Your red is very close to the serge color.

A very popular member of the local RCMP detachment is "Pete, The Heat." I elect that name for your carving.
                            Brian T

Comment

Thanks RV, I can't change it now. I almost put RCMP, but oh well, I hope Pete doesn't mind.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X