Need alittle advice...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need alittle advice...........

I'm hoping that some of you seasoned caricature carvers will be able to help me with a problem that I'm experiencing. I carve a lot (possibly 100 ) of Santa ornaments each year, and I carve them "on the corner". I started doing a fairly simple eye on them a couple of years ago and feel quite comfortable in doing it, and in my opinion it looks ok; but here's my problem.......... All my Santa's seem to look very stern or grumpy. I would really like to have Santa be the Jolly old guy that we all know he really is.
    Sooooooooooo... ! anybody care to recommend a book, a video, a study stick or some other carving aid that may have helped you with this problem ?
    Thanks
    Wayne aka Soggy
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Re: Need alittle advice...........

Wayne, a picture of one, and maybe we can help from that. Your hunters all seem to have your same style face.

Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Marv Kaisersatt in his book Carving Caricature Heads suggests arching the eye brows to get a happier look, Wayne.
      Herb

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
        Wayne, a picture of one, and maybe we can help from that. Your hunters all seem to have your same style face.

Tom
        Thanks Tom; Yeah I guess I should have included some pictures; I posted that original post from my laptop and didn't have any examples on there.
        Here's some pictures that I just took of some random ornaments that I have carved since Christmas. Most are in the 3" to 3 1/2" range and carved with a fixed blade utility knife (Old Reliable; as Lynn Doughty would say ) I don't use gouges or V tools much, with the exception of a bit of texturing for hair and beards.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by uvawyo View Post
          Marv Kaisersatt in his book Carving Caricature Heads suggests arching the eye brows to get a happier look, Wayne.
          Thanks Herb; I do happen to have that book, so I guess I'll have to reread it and pay a little bit better attention this time.....LOL
          Wayne

Comment

the book is in english mate im here if you get stuck with big words..ie any words with more than 4 letters...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey875 View Post
              the book is in english mate im here if you get stuck with big words..ie any words with more than 4 letters...lol
              Well if it's got big words like that I just might as well forget it ............

Comment

Nice bunch of Santas there Soggy. Herb's right about arching the eyebrows but most of yours don't have eyebrows. You could change the shape of your eyes. Smiling or laughing eyes have a flatter or even an arched bottom, the downslope makes them sad. Look in the mirror and smile and that may give you some ideas.
                Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe; I'll give that "arched bottom" style a try, sounds like that might just be the effect that I'm after. As for looking in the mirror and smiling.........when I look in the mirror it's hard not to laugh.......
                  Wayne

Comment

I touched up one of your pictures to illustrate the advice a little better. Your carvings are great, but it is easy to make them a little happier looking. The advice about arching the eyebrows, rather than just a straight slant, is good. Jon Nelson says that you can always make an eye look happy by curving the outside line up, rather than slanting it down. And the whole face needs to smile, even if the mustache is covering it. I like to had little curved dimples up from the corners of the mouth to show a big smile. Hope the picture shows what I'm talking about.
                    Attached Files
                    'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
                    http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Millard Harrel (Cottonwood) had an article on this subject in WCI a couple o issues back. By the way those all look good if they are not jolly.

Comment

Boy I like them all Wayne. My suggestion would be to curve up the outside corner of the eyelid a little, as they all drop down. Also I would raise the cheek a little. The smile line would curve back up the cheek a little, instead of dropping down beside the mouth.

On the otherhand, Santa does have a serious side.

That is the wonderful thing about caricatures. You have a style all your own on your hunters, and I can always tell one of yours.

I can't decide if the really large pupils give him a little startled look.

Dont change them too much, cause I love them all.

Tom
                        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Thanks guys, I've taken a bunch of notes from the various posts and will have a go at working some of those points into the next few carvings. We'll see what will evolve from my interpretation of your advice........... The wife says I don't listen or take advice well, but hopefully some of this will stick.
                          And a special thanks to Mike P. for taking the time to edit my picture so that I could see exactly what he was referring to. It's actions like this that make this forum one GREAT PLACE to hang out.
                          Wayne

Comment

surprising help can come from making them smile- since the mustache is in the way, put the smile curve into the stache.

JoeVM is spot on with his advice to smile at yourself in the mirror, IMO
                            Buffalo Bif
                            www.bflobif.com

Comment

IMHO, anytime you carve eyes that are lower on the outside corners than they are on the inside, your piece will look sad. Having said that, I think you have a unique style going for you, why change?
                              Steve Reed - Carvin' in the flatlands!

Comment

Working...
                              X