What is a fair price?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a fair price?

I carved a great big eagle because this guy said he’d buy it if I did but of course now he has disappeared from the face of the earth. I didn’t ask for a deposit because I wasn’t sure if I could do it.
    So I put it on Craigslist, etsy, Facebook and offer up without any results. I took it off etsy because they just flooded my mailbox with deals for me to buy.
    I’ve put a lot of time into it (maybe 80 - 100 hours?).
    I’m afraid I have it priced to high or maybe I should just be more patient.
    I thought I’d ask you guys (The Experts) and see what you say.
    It’s 50” across so I thought $15 / inch was fair. It has gold leaf paint and conceals a handgun. So what do you all think? Is $750 a good price?
    I have only sold a couple of commissioned carvings before so it’s new to me.
    Thank you for your comments.
    AF19B87F-0A46-4FF6-A2C7-1A7C27F2FF56.jpeg
    Attached Files

That price may be somewhat high, but it will depend on the area and what the market will support. Nice looking carving. Good luck .

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

That is the reason I have only done one commission carving, with the same results, Nice looking carving, hope you have good results
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice carving and it may be something of interest to the firearms people. Might try selling online there and even put up some flyers in local gun shops.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Sam, to see what a well established, professional carver gets for his eagles go to http://www.johnshortell.com/items-fo...ther-carvings/. Compare your carving to his and consider that he is a recognized carver who does commission and other work for a living.

Your market is limited by several factors: 1) You are not a widely recognized professional carver; 2) Very few people have the room or desire for a 50" eagle; 3) Most folks won't part with $750 for a decorative (i.e., you can't eat it or ride it) piece even if they had a place to hang it; 4) You are in direct competition with the professional carvers at that price and in that limited market (hard reality, you will be compared to the pros by reputation and quality of work).

Just an observation in passing: In your description you mention that the carving is finished in "gold leaf paint." There is a world of difference between paint and gold leaf, as well as"real" gold leaf and imitation "gold leaf." I'd suggest caution in properly describing it, as the price for gold leaf is much, much higher than for other finishes and will lead to higher expectations by the buyer. Just FYI!

I have never been willing to sell my carvings because I don't feel I can command enough to justify the time and effort expended to produce them. Good luck!
          Arthur

Comment

Wow! Thank you Bob, JoeB, Bill and Arthur. That was exactly what I needed to hear. I guess I should either drop the price, hang it on my own wall and keep it or maybe just die but that might be rather extreme. (I’d put in a smiley face here if I knew how).

Sam

Comment

Arthur wrote "I have never been willing to sell my carvings because I don't feel I can command enough to justify the time and effort expended to produce them. Good luck!" agree
              Besides I like cluttering the wife's house up
              . . .JoeB

Comment

I recognize the value in time and effort but I can't figure out the numbers for things like carved dishes.
                In a whimsical mood, I said "$10.00 per inch". We measure it = that's the price. Nothing sold.

When I did the big volume of spoons and forks, I had handed out prototypes in diferent shapes.
                Size and shape and ""What's it worth to you.?" $10.00 each was a little low to me.

I carved them from blanks in batches of a dozen and worked as fast as I could.
                From start to finish, about 90 minutes each. So how much?

But there are no $12.00 bills and lots of $10's and $5's floating around!

In a past life, I did a lot of watercolor painting. Quickie pot-boiler sketches on waterfronts and little landscapes.
                Two or three on the go at a time, India ink sketches sometimes and w/c paint washes.
                Sold them right off the stretcher boards hoping the paint was dry! $50.00 per square foot and sold everything.
                Eventually, I decided that I didn't want to paint for the money any more.
                Have not wet a brush in years except to paint carvings.
                Brian T

Comment

Considering the size and amount of detail on the carving, I don't think your price is too high. One thing about ETSY, it only costs you $0.60 per year to keep it listed. I've had things on there finally sell after 3-4 years. To turn off all those emails ETSY sends you, log in to your ETSY account, then go to https://www.etsy.com/your/account/preferences Scroll down to P ostal Mail and unclick the check box.

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beadman1

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thank you Claude. I didn't realize that I could turn off those emails without impacting the valid offers. I'll try it again and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X