Inventory Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventory Control?

I have developed a simple inventory control system. I know I have mentioned before that early in adopting this hobby I decided I did not want to end up with a house full of carvings. I completed my first carving in March 2016 since then I have completed forty-nine carvings. Because I can’t stop myself from doing math that is 8.16 carvings a year. There are currently sixteen carvings in my home ten on display and six for sale.

Now here is my simple system. I have identified eleven locations in our home to display carvings and have a shelf in the office that will hold five or six carvings. When I complete a carving if I like it, it gets one of the eleven locations. The least favored of the previous eleven goes to the office or if a family member or friend has expressed an interest in it I pass it along. Carvings on the office self are listed for sale.

So being a curious guy I wondered where the carvings had gone?

20 - Carvings have been given away to family, friends or donated to local fundraisers
    10 - Carvings on display
    7 - Sold (3 local) (4 online)
    6 - Currently for sale
    3 - Unpaid commissions done for family or friends
    3 - Paid Commissions

Not sure anyone will find this interesting but decided to share anyway.

I have about 15 in the house. Ones my wife claimed,from Santas to work boot and a few fish. I have a tall basket with 8 sticks or canes in it. A half dozen toppers I have complete for sticks and as may cut out in the shop. I would not venture to say how many carvings or sticks have gone to family and friends over the years. I donate two or three sticks a year to raffles for fund raising. Taking matirial coast as a donation on taxes. Time and effort is a gift to me. Most of my comissions have worked out and I have sold or donated those that didn't. Up untile a couple of years ago I work to keep a inventory of a mixed dozen or so finished sticks and canes but old age and sloth took over and I just carve for fun when I can these day.
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I have a MESS! My shop has several starts, some finished and in the house 15 small items (if they will go to kids when I go) are special. Have not sold a thing due to , dam I can't sell that it took too long to make?? And whenever my hands recover, I'll get back to it..
      Chuck
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
        I have developed a simple inventory control system. I know I have mentioned before that early in adopting this hobby I decided I did not want to end up with a house full of carvings. I completed my first carving in March 2016 since then I have completed forty-nine carvings. Because I can’t stop myself from doing math that is 8.16 carvings a year. There are currently sixteen carvings in my home ten on display and six for sale.

Now here is my simple system. I have identified eleven locations in our home to display carvings and have a shelf in the office that will hold five or six carvings. When I complete a carving if I like it, it gets one of the eleven locations. The least favored of the previous eleven goes to the office or if a family member or friend has expressed an interest in it I pass it along. Carvings on the office self are listed for sale.

So being a curious guy I wondered where the carvings had gone?

20 - Carvings have been given away to family, friends or donated to local fundraisers
        10 - Carvings on display
        7 - Sold (3 local) (4 online)
        6 - Currently for sale
        3 - Unpaid commissions done for family or friends
        3 - Paid Commissions

Not sure anyone will find this interesting but decided to share anyway.
        Very good Idea too!
        Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

I have a business for walking sticks and talking sticks. All sold and paid for in advance. I give my caricature carvings away...hundreds. Many go as tips for service workers and others...including family.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

That one is a horror story of the life of a professional artist. I have been ripped off.... had my work stolen, had my work bought in mass amounts and re sold out of the country for big, big money, and more.... Inventory records were destroyed by my not doing backup work, and more. I hired people to manage it and they got the money and I got stuck with the work and little left..., some of those people lost my records and portfolios. I stop caring about records and even where is my work. Older it does not matter ... just create art for art's sake. In my house stuff always gets sold ....then I am not ok because I like it and want to keep it for myself...LOL And old professor quoted in college fine art ...to us. Do not become an artist unless you have to do it no matter what!! That pretty well some up my life...all the good and bad, it is truly an insane kind of lifestyle looking back on it all.
            Last edited by DiLeon; 03-18-2022, 02:05 PM.
            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I tried to do carving for sale. 70 spoons and 30 forks for kitchen prep. Turned out to be beer money in a mug in the kitchen. A bore and a chore but I got satisfactory answers.
              Starting and selling new grape vines and caring for them was a lot less work but a lot more fun in the Farmer's Weekly Market for the social visits.

Good thing I took pictures of my best carvings. Some, I had totally forgotten about. Others, I don't know exactly where they are. I have a sneaking suspicion that a big cedar umbrella stand has wound up in a drought stricken patch of California.

If and when I carve something that I see in the wood, that I know is there, what is left for me to do?
              Some times, I give carvings to people who I believe "need" that piece in their garden.
              Brian T

Comment

My wife quilts. There really isn't any room on the walls for anything I've carved, given that there are already quilts hanging all over. I have a stack of relief carvings sitting on a shelf in a cabinet in the garage "shop". I gave a carving away Wednesday to one of my sisters. I'm going to just give away pretty much anything I've carved, unless I personally want it.

Comment

There is one exception my first carving has a permanent place on the shelf.

13AA8BDF-AED5-4E56-9B4C-69501E1B982D.jpg

Comment

Here's what I gave away. It's butternut, finished with BLO, a cutoff from another project (that someone else made). I have wood working tools at home, and the little band saw at the carving class won't get some things cut out. It's a 6", mine's a 12". People give me the odds and ends sometimes.

There wasn't enough material for more fins, so it's just a sort of abstract.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I counted the carvings in our house just the other day and there is close to 100 in various locations. And that doesn't include the seasonal carvings that my wife has put away now but come out during the holidays. I've never sold one but before this COVID thing I used to carry a carving or two with me when we left the house and then gave it to someone at the doctor's office or to a server at a restaurant, or to a clerk at a store. We don't go out and eat anymore, and we don't make the long distance trips that we used to so the work just keeps piling up on the bookcase.

Comment

I didn't realize until I looked but I've got around 60 here at home, a few of which are for sale. A lot of my carvings for sale on ETSY are carved after someone purchases them (Made to order...), so they aren't filling my shelves... ETSY tells me I've sold 638 through them since 11/2012 which is 5.7 per month average. Also give a few away to family, friends, and charitable groups each year. Sales are enough that I have to declare it on my income tax forms, but I also get to write off a lot of expenses as well. I've been drawing Social Security for around 12 years, but I still have to pay "self-employed" social security taxes... Carving is still fun for me, although advancing age makes it more difficult to carve for long hours.

Claude
                        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

I feel like a piker, only have 28 pieces at home! Fifty-one pieces given away or donated for charitable purposes.
                          Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                            I didn't realize until I looked but I've got around 60 here at home, a few of which are for sale. A lot of my carvings for sale on ETSY are carved after someone purchases them (Made to order...), so they aren't filling my shelves... ETSY tells me I've sold 638 through them since 11/2012 which is 5.7 per month average. Also give a few away to family, friends, and charitable groups each year. Sales are enough that I have to declare it on my income tax forms, but I also get to write off a lot of expenses as well. I've been drawing Social Security for around 12 years, but I still have to pay "self-employed" social security taxes... Carving is still fun for me, although advancing age makes it more difficult to carve for long hours.

Claude
                            You're kicking some butt with sales, to say the least!

Comment

One old fella in our club, he has since now passed in 2021, gave his carvings a numbering system. He recorded the number on the carving and also in a 3 ring binder. In his book, next to the number, he described the carving, the date it was finished, (which was part of the number), and if the carving was sold or kept.

I sat down with him one day to look at his book, and over his 50 year carving 'career', he was up over 700 carvings. Most of his carvings now reside at our own County Historical museum, and his Native American carvings are at the Kansas Historical Museum in Topeka, KS.

I think it is a good idea to have some kind of system if nothing else to see when you carved the item, since I am getting forgetful in my old age!

Comment

Working...
                              X