Art In the Park (Advise?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art In the Park (Advise?)

So primarily in an effort to promote Central Nebraska Wood Carvers the guys and gals at the club house suggested I participate in the local “Art in the Park” event. It is a two, half day event in early July. It will also provide me with the opportunity (I hope) of sell off a few carvings that need new homes.

I had to submit a photo of my booth for their consideration along with photos of three of my sculptures.

Now here is the fun part. I have never done this before an frankly would welcome any advise on any aspect of this type of event.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Be sure to tie down the legs of your cover, either with stakes or weights, wind can pick those up really easy (ask me how I know!) How are you feeling about people handling your carvings? If you don't want them to than a sign is needed. Maybe have some smaller carvings people can pick up? I don't know how much blowing dust you'll have, but maybe a duster to keep things cleaned off. And a tarp to cover things up if it rains. Of course a cooler with something to drink and eat, depending on how long this lasts. And a person to stay with the table when you need a break. If you had another table that you could put the bigger items on more to the back they could still be seen but would be more protected. You'll be surprised how fast some thing can disappear. If you don't want people walking through the legs of your tent (having access from all sides) then string something bright back and forth. You are putting some pretty expensive items out there, I think I would feel safer with pictures of some of those instead. Maybe get other members to donate some items to show too. You can place the pictures in a ring binder or hang them on a display rack. I have two folding display racks I use for things like that.

Comment

Very nice presentation Ed. I have not done that for quite awhile but Sappy pretty well cover it. I would add to the list planning how you Will handle the sales. If cash only then you need to add up your prices and make a plan to have enough cash on that to make change. If you are taking checks maby add a folder in you phone or laptop to take pictures of ID's. You can find companies on line that work with fair and show events deal with credit cards. I will second what Sappy said about controlling accses to the work!! Also closed sides access. The first time is always the hardest.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

sappy Some very good ideas, had been think about how to block off the sides. Had not thought about the “keep your hands to yourself” sign. The guild requires leg weights but I have been considering ways to tie down the shelf to the table and secure the carvings to the shelf.

Comment

I have done several outdoor shows. The first picture is of my booth with a buddy helping out.

I upgraded to a straight-sided 10x10 canopy with four sides. This helps with sun, wind, and rain. This comes with stake-down plates for the feet, but I also purchased canopy sand-bags that hang on the legs (not in this picture). I also use 6 cross-ropes from each top corner that are staked down near the adjacent leg (shown in the pic.) on three sides. (The guy next to me asked if I was expecting a hurricane.)

To block the sides from traffic, I lowered the sides half-way as shown.

You'll want to position your carvings/tables so that you aren't hiding behind them. I'd also suggest a table cloth as you'll need a place to put packing boxes, etc. out of sight.

Also notice the platforms the native American and wood-duck are sitting on. These are 3-sided, with the back open. This gives me a place to hide cell phone, carving tools, papers, etc.

When you decide to really get crazy, add a car canopy (second pic). You can see the sand-bags in that pic.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          Last edited by dave.keele; 05-18-2022, 06:54 PM.
          ....Dave
          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
            sappy Some very good ideas, had been think about how to block off the sides. Had not thought about the “keep your hands to yourself” sign. The guild requires leg weights but I have been considering ways to tie down the shelf to the table and secure the carvings to the shelf.
            I use 4 white 5 gallon paint buckets put the legs inside then filled the bucket with sand and ran a line from the handle of each bucket to the above corner. Cheap and easy way to hold them down. If wind is a issue you can add water.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

So primarily in an effort to promote Central Nebraska Wood Carvers the guys and gals at the club house suggested I participate in the local “Art in the Park” event. It is a two, half day event in early July. It will also provide me with the opportunity (I hope) of sell off a few carvings that need new homes.

I had to submit a photo of my booth for their consideration along with photos of three of my sculptures.

Now here is the fun part. I have never done this before an frankly would welcome any advise on any aspect of this type of event.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.
              Looking at your set up, make sure you have long spikes for the legs into the ground IF you have a thought of any wind. If you have room enough get another setup for sitting around and shade. And storing your personal stuff drinks/food and cash box, A hidout for that one. And as usual ya can't count on every thing either. Wish I could make the drive to be there. But hey it's only that ! ! far on the map!
              Chuck
              Chuck
              Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

NoDNA Thanks but they require 50lb weights No stakes due to in ground sprinklers.
                Last edited by Nebraska; 05-20-2022, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I don't have photos, but a couple of craft fairs I attended, I took my things inside in a couple of good sized totes with lids. I could "hide" stuff in the totes, such as multiples of items on display, my lunch, etc. For the table, I want to Target and got a set of twin bed sized sheets (red), to cover the table. The sheet was big enough to cover the top and hang down in front to the ground. I could then put stuff under the table and it would be out of sight.

To accept credit cards, open up a Square account for yourself. You get a small attachment for your cellphone that lets you swipe a credit or debit card. ETSY had their own item and app, but closed it out and recommended everyone switch to Square. Here's a link to get you started. https://squareup.com/us/en/payments?...vzyf3ykp0rv100

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

dave.keele Thanks for the ideas at this point think this is a one off deal but I guess we will see. I think I will pick up a couple poly tarps ($2.80) to give me some side wall options. Like the hideaway cubbyhole idea as well.

Comment

Claude I don’t have multiples but I can see how that would be necessary. I will checkout square I’m also looking at PayPal options. Thanks

Comment

• Claude
                        Claude commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My son's Father in Law sells wood turnings at craft fairs. He started with Square so he could swipe a credit/debit card on the spot. My wife's hair dresser has one also at her solon...

NoDNA Thanks but they require 50lb weights No stakes due to in ground sprinklers.
                      AHAHHHHHHH Didnot think of that one!!! >>>>><<<<<<>>>>>><<<< Gads. that is right.
                      Chuck
                      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

So I finally got the official word I have been accepted, but. There always seems to be a butt. I can’t display the nudes. Not a big deal looking forward to the experience.

Comment

Congratulations Ed, great display, and what a venue to promote your work and the local club.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Originally posted by Mark N. Akers View Post
                            Congratulations Ed, great display, and what a venue to promote your work and the local club.
                            Got notification of my booth location yesterday I was pleased when I realized I will be along the access lane to the food trucks. Seems like that should create a little extra traffic. Then a little shocked to realize the other booths around me all belong to past or current presidents of the local artist guild all well know and exceptional painters.
                            Last edited by Nebraska; 06-29-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X