Teaching a class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching a class

One of the activities our club uses to attract new members is teaching a class through the community college.
    We started doing this in 2019 so this year will be our second time. (Covid). It will be my first time teaching a class. Students will be making a round peg and an angel ornament.

Any words of wisdom?

Now, will you be trying to fit that round peg into a square hole?.... Sorry, just kidding! Congratulations! You've got more guts than I have to stand up in front of a class as an instructor. I remember back when I was working and had to give a presentation of one sort or another to the office. My teeth were chattering so bad and my knees a knocking so loud that the group could hardly hear me over the ruckus!!!!

Comment

Relax and enjoy it! If your having fun they will. I find it helpful to do four or five pictures of each project in different stages of completion for them to study, if you have time. I just print them out on plain paper. With your skill level you will do well. You may want to have something you can do a quick sharpening with. With new carvers there is always the student that brings what should be a butter knife. HO, have a first aid kit on hand, someone will not fallow your safety instructions. I only had that happen twice but I was glad I was ready. Not sure that's helpful Just some things I learn doing it.
      Last edited by Randy; 06-07-2022, 08:43 AM.
      We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
      https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Ed,, there isn't too much to worry about. I think it's a great idea and there was an articule about "So you want to teach a class"? But cannot remeber what mag it was in. I had a couple locals that came to me about carving , I have done public speaking and seminars, so it isn't hard for me.

This information gave all the particulars on setups and ?" costs ects.The college may have some ideas and OR , WHEN is this happening? If your group is furnishing the "supplies, and instructioial materials " the costs should be born by?

When I would start a presentation I always had a single hand out. it would be an outline of Whats going on. Or what the class covers. Their responibilities.

Show them pictures or real examples of finished work, (simple) or what can be accomplished later in life. The tools, and material to work with,
        Most of al the danger of the knives and you know the rest.

I could go on and on but you may have a better handle ..
        Hope this ??
        Chuck

Chuck
        Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Thats great Ed, just have fun and enjoy.
          Mark N. Akers
          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Good luck, Ed, and things always work out. Curious what pattern or what type of angel you are doing. I'm looking for an easy angel pattern.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Ed, I have taught classes, age range 12 to 70. It was lots of fun and the 12 year old was my best student, i did have her mother sit in.
              Herb

Comment

Thank, I’m actually do this on behalf of the local carving club. CNWC will be providing tools, gloves and wood. Nervous is not a problem have presented before groups of 1,000+. Thanks for the supportive responses.

Comment

Good luck, Ed! I'm sure you'll do fine!

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                  My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                  My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                  My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Can I see some pictures and how can I apply?

Comment

Originally posted by Marymireles View Post
                      Can I see some pictures and how can I apply?
                      This is an in person class in central Nebraska over a three week period at a local community college. I don’t have confirmed dates yet.

Comment

Please keep us informed. Because I love learning and can't go without reading something new, I'm so excited about learning that I've started ordering edits to my psychology writings here https://writix.com/essay-examples/psychology (yes, I'm in college for psychology), but I am also very much love anything technical until I've appreciated what I want to become after college but until I study all the fields I can. I hope there are still people like me who are so keen on reading and learning in general.
                        Last edited by Marymireles; 07-04-2022, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                          Ed,, there isn't too much to worry about. I think it's a great idea and there was an articule about "So you want to teach a class"? But cannot remeber what mag it was in. I had a couple locals that came to me about carving , I have done public speaking and seminars, so it isn't hard for me.

This information gave all the particulars on setups and ?" costs ects.The college may have some ideas and OR , WHEN is this happening? If your group is furnishing the "supplies, and instructioial materials " the costs should be born by?

When I would start a presentation I always had a single hand out. it would be an outline of Whats going on. Or what the class covers. Their responibilities.

Show them pictures or real examples of finished work, (simple) or what can be accomplished later in life. The tools, and material to work with,

Hope this ??
                          Chuck
                          On the basis of the college, it would really be possible to conduct interesting classes for new members. And if you interest college students in interesting activities, then there will be a wonderful result.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                            Relax and enjoy it! If your having fun they will. I find it helpful to do four or five pictures of each project in different stages of completion for them to study, if you have time. I just print them out on plain paper. With your skill level you will do well. You may want to have something you can do a quick sharpening with. With new carvers there is always the student that brings what should be a butter knife. HO, have a first aid kit on hand, someone will not fallow your safety instructions. I only had that happen twice but I was glad I was ready. Not sure that's helpful Just some things I learn doing it.
                            By the way, good advice! Especially safety measures for students can come in handy. And in our country, due to the fact that the students did not follow the instructions, sometimes the instrument broke down, you also need to be prepared for this. I even had photos of these tools somewhere. When I was writing a coursework in college on safety in the production of woodworking, I was even able to use these photos. Therefore, students should be careful with their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

Also, some of the students who will take an active part in this will be able to attract their classmates, someone may even write their course project like here https://papersowl.com/write-my-term-paper on working with wood and wooden materials . And thus will popularize these activities.

Hope this ??
                              Chuck
                              In general, great ideas that can be applied in the promotion of various activities for college students.

Comment

Working...
                              X