Butterfly carving found near Cancun Mexico. Need help identifying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly carving found near Cancun Mexico. Need help identifying

My sister is visiting the XCaret resort near Cancun, Mexico. She posted a photo of this carving that was found in an "underground river" nearby. This is not too far from several Mayan Ruins. She is absolutely in love with what she found, but the only picture she had that came out at all is below. The lighting was poor, as is to be expected underground.

I would very much like to see if anyone can find better photos or has more information about this carving, such as the wood type, dimensions, etc. I would like to recreate something similar for her when she comes home. According to her husband, she is absolutely enamored with it, and is trying to alter their travel plans just to go back and see this carving. (She has no idea that I carve wood, so if she ended up with something similar, it would be a great surprise.)

I can see that it's a butterfly, but I don't know the dimensions, or wood type. Any other hints and tricks to create something very similar would be appreciated.

It is really hard to tell the dimensions of this butterfly. I would just go to the net and pick and image of a butterfly and find the actual size of it and carve one to true live size. If you are trying to copy this one than use thicker wood, judging by the image maybe 1/4" thick in order to get the depth to the cuts in the wings. As far as the wood goes I think you would be fine with either basswood or tupelo. I don't know if you realize it or not but there is actually another butterfly to the right. I can see the antenna. Good Luck and be sure to post images.
    Last edited by Dwight; 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM.
    ~ Dwight
    "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Here is one I did of a monarch butterfly.
      ~ Dwight
      "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Thanks Dwight. I think what I'm looking for is going to be a lot bulkier. From a bad picture she posted first then deleted, it made me think that it might have been about 10" across, but I can't be sure. The wood looks to be a dark red, but that could also be stain. I'll keep researching.

Comment

Sorry I could not be of much help, it is so hard for individuals like myself to gauge the size when there is nothing in the picture to use for comparison, I wish you all the best with this carving. Be sure to post pics if you can. Good Luck.
          ~ Dwight

Comment

I haven't seen a butterfly with wings like that before. They rather look like leaves. Might be a leaf-butterfly or a leaf-ant or a leaf-somethingelse. Some folks carve using something else
            as a fundamental part of the item. There are many butterflies and moths on the background. some very small. It is as scene. Martin

Comment

Looks like clay to me. The size of my hand (can you learn at least that much?) I can't believe that it is meant to look (literally) like a butterfly of any species.
              Cut and relieve the wings as slabs, attach to the typical 3-part insect body and fire. Different colors of clays and slips would look better than any paint.
              Brian T

Comment

Working...
              X