I got Walnut Pieces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got Walnut Pieces

1-IMG_0007.JPG2-IMG_0008.JPG These 4Pieces are from the Slab of Wood that I didn't know the Kind of Wood it was. Phil thought it was Walnut and he was Right. It took a Chain Saw to cut it. It has no Walnut Smell , probably got washed out over the last 100 years. I see a lot of Cane and Stick Toppers in the Future. Merle

You dog you
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, My Barber gave me that Piece over a Year ago. He had to carry it up to my Shop on the 2nd Floor , I couldn't lift it. it sat in my shop all this time Taking up room , I couldn't do anything with it because of it's weight . I was just about out of Walnut and now that's no longer a Problem. My Grandson had to use a Chain Saw to cut it , it is HARD. I thin the 2 pieces from the left are cut thru a Big Knot , that should make nice Grain, if I can cut it. Yep Joe , Bow Wow. Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

Nice rescue. I had a brother who would burn black walnut in his wood stove, until I told him what it was and took the remaining logs.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Warms my heart to see somebody else's shop filling up with wood chunks which might be useful.
          You weren't standing on that piece of floor anyway.
          Brian T

Comment

Hi Burner 807, Didn't know the knid of wood it was and couldn't do anything with it because of it's weight and now I know the kind and can lift it. Thanks fo Commenting. Merle

Comment

Good score Merle!
              Terry

Comment

Hi RV, No I couldn't stand on that piece of Floor then but I can now. If my Little Band saw can cut it I'll make use of those pieces somehow . Seeing those end cuts gives a lot of Interest of what could be. Thanks For Showing your Interest. Merle

Comment

Those are some nice chunks of wood, Merle. For what it's worth, my little 9" Craftsman bandsaw with a 3/16 4TPI Timberwolf blade will cut 3.5 inch old walnut easily - it's slower than cutting the same thickness of basswood, but the blade does cut it just fine.

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beadman1

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Beautiful find, Merle. I tried carving a piece of walnut my brother gave me and I gave up on it. Are you going to power carve it?
                    Arthur

Comment

Hi Claude, I always use Timberwolf Blades and I have a 1/4 " Blade on now so that should do it. My thickest piece is 5 " thick but think it will still cut it. Thanks Claude for your Input it gives me Confidence . Merle

Comment

Hi Arthur , I tried to Carve Walnut at first but as you did I gave it up as a lost cause. But I had Walnut that I wanted to use so I went to Power Carving and that is the only way I'll do Walnut . The Effort that you put into working with Walnut ends up with a Beautiful Piece of Wood and Hope your Carving Enhances the finished piece. Keeps me Trying . Thanks Arthur for your Commenting. Merle

Comment

Great looking wood Merle, I see plenty of possibilities in those. Enjoy my friend.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi Bob, I think their is enough Walnut to last me thru my Carving Days. When the Barber gave me this Slab of Wood he didn't know the kind of Wood is was , I think he will be surprised when I tell him that it is Walnut. I just asked him if he had any more Walnut like he gave me before and he had none left. Now I don't need anymore I got enough. Thank you for Ciommenting. Merle

Comment

Just for all of the Walnut owners - wonderful for all of you. Just a point of pain to avoid. The chips/saw dust are danger of life to a Horse. It will dissolve their Hoofs. So don't give it to your grand children for their horses or pony ! Really bad in a stall.

Comment

Working...
                              X