Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Knot Carvings

Hello All!!

So last year, I stumbled upon the work of a carver in the Carolinas who did some incredible Woodspirits in Pine Knots which I had never seen before. I became so taken by his work that I now have 5 pieces of his!

I knew the moment I saw them I wanted to try my hand at found wood, pine knots in particular, but as a novice, only being familiar with carving basswood, I had not idea what to even look for. Well, we just wrapped up a trip through the Carolinas and I found some! Here are my first 3 attempts. There’s much to learn, but man, nothing beats carving in something you picked off the ground. Thankfully, the girlfriend let me bring home the other 20 knots I found!!!

I would appreciate any tips or advice y’all have. Photography credit goes to the girlfriend who no doubt makes them look better than they are!

Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 06-25-2018, 11:17 PM.

Great job on carving those Josh, and be sure to hang on to that girlfriend.

i like em, Tom
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Have to agree with Tom, got a keeper. I might have to see if I can find a knot looks like a kick, my creative juices have been running low.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Those knots look great, Josh! They sure don't look like your first attempts.
        Keep On Carvin'
        Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Where do you live Josh? You can find pine knots anywhere. If you are lucky to find a really rotted tree, you just pick them up, otherwise you may have to help them break free. I bake my knots in the oven for an hour or so to make sure there aren't any bugs left in the wood. Search youtube for videos on how to find pine knots and even carving Woodspirits. Here's my most recent
          IMG_20180418_124245.jpg

Lots of fun to do - have fun at it.

Comment

Thank you gents! I appreciate the kind words.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Where do you live Josh? You can find pine knots anywhere. If you are lucky to find a really rotted tree, you just pick them up, otherwise you may have to help them break free. I bake my knots in the oven for an hour or so to make sure there aren't any bugs left in the wood. Search youtube for videos on how to find pine knots and even carving Woodspirits. Here's my most recent
            IMG_20180418_124245.jpg

Lots of fun to do - have fun at it.
            Sam, that fella looks great!

Home is in Florida. We have a lot of Pine here but everything I read said the good stuff was the Yellow and Virginia Pine. I guess you could say it blocked my hunting. I’ll definitely be looking when I get back.

If I may, what’s your process for baking them? It didn’t occur to me to worry about the bugs.

Do you finish them in any way after? I was gonna throw some wax over them and call it a day. Maybe some Briwax on the ones that may need a bit more color.

Comment

Well done, Josh! Those spirits are great.

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/beadman1

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Thanks Josh. He is one I made to be placed on a table and not hung.

I live in Florida too - West Coast, Homosassa. I use local found pine knots all the time - usually Long Needle Pine Trees or Cedar. They are as good as any.

To bake, I wrap in aluminum foil so it is sealed and bake at 250 for an hour. I let it cool a little in the oven. You will have a pine smell in the kitchen when you open the oven, but it quickly goes away. My wife hasn't objected yet - she loves the carved knots. You don't find bugs in the pitch, but in the surrounding bark I have seen some. Sometimes when I go picking I see rotted piles loaded with bugs, so I would rather be cautious and take care of them first. Walking around here looking for pine knots can be dangerous - I have seen many snakes sunning on the dead tree logs, or laying under the log on one side or the other. I just take a walking stick and bang around so they know I'm coming. I also use a wire brush on a drill to clean up the knot getting rid of the loose bark and rotted stuff. I finish them with Briwax - I have both clear and golden oak in case they need a little darkening.

Comment

You have a wonderful 'mind's eye' Josh. Well done. I've also heard that a quick trip through the microwave oven does a number on the bugs. Just another thought.

Tinwood

Comment

love the looks of a wind spirit any time you did an awesome job on those knots!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      Thanks Josh. He is one I made to be placed on a table and not hung.

I live in Florida too - West Coast, Homosassa. I use local found pine knots all the time - usually Long Needle Pine Trees or Cedar. They are as good as any.

To bake, I wrap in aluminum foil so it is sealed and bake at 250 for an hour. I let it cool a little in the oven. You will have a pine smell in the kitchen when you open the oven, but it quickly goes away. My wife hasn't objected yet - she loves the carved knots. You don't find bugs in the pitch, but in the surrounding bark I have seen some. Sometimes when I go picking I see rotted piles loaded with bugs, so I would rather be cautious and take care of them first. Walking around here looking for pine knots can be dangerous - I have seen many snakes sunning on the dead tree logs, or laying under the log on one side or the other. I just take a walking stick and bang around so they know I'm coming. I also use a wire brush on a drill to clean up the knot getting rid of the loose bark and rotted stuff. I finish them with Briwax - I have both clear and golden oak in case they need a little darkening.
                      Fantastic. Thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely plan to make that happen with the other pieces! I’m sure we’ll run into each other in FL. Do you get around to any of the carving shows? I’ve gone to a couple but I’m on my own learning as nothing seems to be nearby.

Thanks for all the the kind words everyone!

Comment

I go to the Nature Coast Woodcarving Club's December show in Citrus County, and then any others that I hear about as long as its not too much traveling. Are you East or West Coast, or central?

Comment

I’m in Orlando. Doesn’t seem like too much comes through this way. Most of the shows I’ve been too have been an hour or two away

Comment

Nice job on the knots. I did one once but found it hard.
                            Joe

Comment

Good Job , Josh. Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X