Oddly this is the place I should have found

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddly this is the place I should have found

Found wood, firstly and foremost I have always just picked any thing that I could cut, that being said, after all the books and instructions I read say Bass wood, so now am trying to say to my self. Ok this is OK , but I am have a heck of a time adjusting to ..No grain? and not hard enough, and doesn't sand/power cut like my other woods do. For me I just as soon find a nice piece of fell "any wood" and start cutting/whittling. Has any one else gone through this? And also I have been making chips and dust for a few years now, not too great but"ok".
    Last edited by NoDNA; 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM. Reason: Spell correct.

I find butternut is an excellent wood to carve...although can be a bit stringy. I have heard sugar pine is good but haven't tried it. Found green wood is easy, found driftwood can be easy or hard...just depends on the wood. I stick to basswood and butternut...for now. JMO
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

You're "learning the woods." Some you like, some you don't. Don't follow books if you don't want to.
      All conifer "softwoods" tend to split very easily, some are better and worse than others.

I like western red cedar with a ring count of 15-40/inch. Also Yellow cedar.
      I've carved a lot of birch, it's quite a bit harder, even grained and a pale cream color.
      Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
        I find butternut is an excellent wood to carve...although can be a bit stringy. I have heard sugar pine is good but haven't tried it. Found green wood is easy, found driftwood can be easy or hard...just depends on the wood. I stick to basswood and butternut...for now. JMO
        Yes , in driftwood, I love it. Walking on the beach I will pick a piece and carve a face in it, then stand it up for some one to pick it up to walk with, or just to hand off to a child.Couple things about beachwood, is sometimes sandy and dulls knife, or wood is so darn hard ???? Kids love it though to see me carving on a log , then hand them a small seal, bird or sort?? I have currently some Poplar seems ok . we'll see. I would like to get some Butternut, but know knot (pun) where here in Oregon? Cedar is great and a good tight Redwood too.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
          Yes , in driftwood, I love it. Walking on the beach I will pick a piece and carve a face in it, then stand it up for some one to pick it up to walk with, or just to hand off to a child.Couple things about beachwood, is sometimes sandy and dulls knife, or wood is so darn hard ???? Kids love it though to see me carving on a log , then hand them a small seal, bird or sort?? I have currently some Poplar seems ok . we'll see. I would like to get some Butternut, but know knot (pun) where here in Oregon? Cedar is great and a good tight Redwood too.
          Nice idea to carve at the beach and leave for folks. I just might try that sometime. I do give away a lot of my carvings to service workers, friends, and even place some anonymously
          in places for people to pick up.

I'd just sacrifice a knife and dedicate it to beach carving because of all the sand and salt.

I got some decent butternut from Northern Wildwoods but he no longer sells it, nor basswood...just diamond willow. I don't know where a good supplier is anymore...maybe someone can post a good source?

Sadly Butternut is banned from Canada or just Ontario...based on Doug Linker mention of the problem. I also heard there is some type of pest problem with it back East.

They say Port Orford, Oregon is excellent and there is a sawmill down there that will sell it...will probably go down this summer. Lots of Myrltewood around here and people carve it but haven't tried any myself. FYI
          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post

Nice idea to carve at the beach and leave for folks. I just might try that sometime. I do give away a lot of my carvings to service workers, friends, and even place some anonymously
            in places for people to pick up.

I'd just sacrifice a knife and dedicate it to beach carving because of all the sand and salt.

I got some decent butternut from Northern Wildwoods but he no longer sells it, nor basswood...just diamond willow. I don't know where a good supplier is anymore...maybe someone can post a good source?

Sadly Butternut is banned from Canada or just Ontario...based on Doug Linker mention of the problem. I also heard there is some type of pest problem with it back East.

They say Port Orford, Oregon is excellent and there is a sawmill down there that will sell it...will probably go down this summer. Lots of Myrtlewood, around here and people carve it but haven't tried any myself. FYI
            Oh my goodness, just got back from a trip down the coast.. We camped at Tugman State Park for a week, and then went south to Bandon, At the Bandon Lighthouse, a Historical Site.Located at Bullard Beach State Park, Drive through the park to find it. There is wood ALL over the place. . Plus I purchased some Myrtlewood (at Lakeside) 3 pieces 2.5x10"x1.25" odd cuts for 2$ each.. , also on the beach I think I have 2 sticks about 3' by 3;' in dia. .. I did find a piece of Alder about 5" long and 3"wide a broken piece with bark, It was shaped like the sand dunes. I carved a sitting dog into it and wrote Oregon and the date, gave it to a 6 year old boy from northern WA St. He was very happy , plus his father, was an engineer at some big tech place.had never seen anything like that.. Always have fun. And your note about the mill at Port Orford, Darn wish I Had known that one
            Any way cheers and keep chipping.
            Oh and my pocket knife is my beach knife and old one I have had for years.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
              Found wood, firstly and foremost I have always just picked any thing that I could cut, that being said, after all the books and instructions I read say Bass wood, so now am trying to say to my self. Ok this is OK , but I am have a heck of a time adjusting to ..No grain? and not hard enough, and doesn't sand/power cut like my other woods do. For me I just as soon find a nice piece of fell "any wood" and start cutting/whittling. Has any one else gone through this? And also I have been making chips and dust for a few years now, not too great but"ok".
              I use basswood most of the time, but it if is not something YOU like, then you don't need to. Preferring found hardwood on the beach is an individual choice, as is choosing basswood. I tried some driftwood and didn't like it for carving. The important point is that you DO prefer it, so carve what you like! I'd like to see your work!

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post

I use basswood most of the time, but it if is not something YOU like, then you don't need to. Preferring found hardwood on the beach is an individual choice, as is choosing basswood. I tried some driftwood and didn't like it for carving. The important point is that you DO prefer it, so carve what you like! I'd like to see your work!

Claude
                Thanks Claude, Actually, my first was an Owl out of Basswood ,that came with my first cutting kit, second was a candle holder of Sycamore. I guess I will have to put up some pictures..I think one reason about Basswood also is, I don't paint and really like to see the grain of the wood. I have several types, Mahogany, Sycamore,Redwood, Cedar, Pine "scrap" ,some Oak and Maple. And just acquired a few sawn pieces of Myrtlewood. Those pieces, are starting to think like spoons.. Have done some small items in Tupelo which isn't too bad.

One thing about my carvings and / or choppings is that I give so much to friends or just hand off to some one if they like it, so most right now, some small animals,

Anyway, love your countryside, great scenery, and those big trees, waterways, and have met some real great folks down that way.
                Cheers from Oregon

Comment

If you like to see the grain in wood, butternut has an excellent grain and easy to carve, NoDNA. I like it but mostly use basswood because I do paint it with washes and it is easy to carve. I do have some local Myrtlewood and plan on giving it a try sometime, it sure is a beautiful wood.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X