A new supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new supply

My old buddy was headed east for a trip and he was at my house before he took off. He has always been curious about my carving and I did some work for him. Knowing he was headed to BASS Wood country.. I says" Say Don if you can find some Bass wood ???" He came to my house the other day with a large cooler full of cutoffs from a mill ,, about 80 pounds. They were doing a run ans told him to take what ever that he wanted out of the dumpster. It varies from 4x4 inches to 3x4x20 inches. . I don't think I'll run out for awhile.

Good score! Can you guess which region that wood came from?
    I'm told that the northern basswood is a little more consistent and maybe a little softer
    than bass wood cut in the south.

Would have been an interesting wood anatomy puzzle to putz around with.
    Brian T

Comment

Yes, that was a nice score. I get mine from Heineke in Wisconsin.

Comment

Sweet score!
        Arthur

Comment

WHAT only one cooler full, says the very envious person, nothing but enjoyment ahead
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Would your friend like a bunch more friends?

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              WHAT only one cooler full, says the very envious person, nothing but enjoyment ahead
              HA, Right, but he also does wood work , he told me he did not have too much more room for has he carried back several 8ft x8" logs plus some slabs .. That I did NOT get to see. . Told me his fuel mileage dropped 3 mpg. HA. .. And hey Sappy , don't know yet .. I'll ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                Good score! Can you guess which region that wood came from?
                I'm told that the northern basswood is a little more consistent and maybe a little softer
                than bass wood cut in the south.

Would have been an interesting wood anatomy puzzle to putz around with.
                He was up in the northern tier. and I had told him IF he had a chance.. But I'll check it out . He lives about 250 miles from me in central Oregon. And I do have to go see him for some Elk antler. Knife handles ya know.

Comment

Well, it sure should make for a happy day. Send me his name and address...I need a friend like that.
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Sounds like you'll have enough good wood to last a while!

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Years ago I used to buy cutoffs from a mill that made hand rails, They were going out of business so I went over to see if I could get some before they closed. They said thry had some scrap 2 1/2 inch dowles and a pallet of cutoffs for $100, I only had 50 with me so they tole me to go out back and take what I wanted on the dowels and 1/2 the pallet of cutoffs. Went back and got 10 dowels 10 feet longand 1/2 of the largest pallet I ever saw, it filled the 8 foot bed of my pickup to a heaping load. Pieces were 2 to 2.5 inches thick 8 to 10 inches wide and 8 to 20 inches long. I've been carving on that stash for over 10 years and i still have a large rack of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
                        Sounds like you'll have enough good wood to last a while!

Claude

Oh, yeah, now if I could find some Cyprus .. Oh and there is a nice Butternut tree round the corner from me. BUT, I think it would be dangerous for me with a chainsaw to lQQk at his tree.

Comment

I was carving while waiting at my car dealership, as I normally do, and as usual, the mechanics came out to see what I was working on, on their way for coffee break. One of the mechanics was headed West for vacation, to Ontario where his brother owns a saw mill and offered and brought back a few big ends of Basswood. He has been doing this ever since and help keep me in wood to work. I of course made him some pieces as he wouldn't accept a nickel for the wood.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                          X