Flaky Bark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaky Bark

I would not have carved anything on this piece of bark if it did not have, what looked like, an interesting coloration and the fact that it came from a creek on our farm near my boyhood home.
    This Plains Cottonwood bark was a difficult piece to carve because of the loose grain that wanted to flake off. I had set this piece back to carve something special on it, but I was just glad to have it finished and that it stayed in one piece until it was finished! Bark face from Harrell Farm.JPG

Nice piece of carving, interesting piece of bark.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Outstanding carving and well done. The bark certainly enhances it, Cottonwood.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Very nice. Could you tell us how you did the eyes?
        Joe

Comment

Looks like you won the battle with the bark. Maybe its bark was worse than its bite. Very nice carving. thanks for posting.
          Bill K.
          Every day should be unwrapped like a precious gift.

Comment

Great carving, really nice detail and the added carving on the side a real plus.
            When I carve in the bark, before I start I always paint the outside of the bark with a mixture of 50/50 water and Elmer's School Glue, helps keep in place wand when dried, doesn't show
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Nicely done cottonwood.

Comment

Hi Millard ,you sure did good on that Old piece of Bark and saved it for future enjoyment . Beautiful Piece , no surprise to me . Merle

Comment

Millard at first look, I said, "Oh wow that is awesome work! Simply outstanding." what a wonderful surprise.

Comment

Very nice Millard, love it.

Comment

I feel like hard work did pay off on this new wooden craft of yours. It is really beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                      X