No announcement yet.

Good smelling wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen Pecan that looks similar. It's hard and has a pleasing odor, although not real strong. If the odor is very strong, it could be a species in the genus Dalbergia. I've worked with a lot of those, all of which are very hard and many of which have strong, "sweet" smell. All of the rosewood species, for example.

Comment

What makes it wild now it the number of hardwoods coming in from South America now. Heard about Yellow Wood today - new one like purple heart and blood wood..... translations from other languages can be tough. Some may never know the species.

Comment

07610_Vintage_Chinese_Carved_Camphor_wood_Trunk_Coffer_C1950_17_master.jpgSounds like camphor....the smell is what sells it. If it is camphor finding it today is not easy if not impossible. I just got some camphor it is wet, and was given to me in a trade off for a carving. The smell to me is wonderful....but note it can be toxic so wear a mask. Camphor will hold its smell< so if you sand it or cut it....the smell will come upon old wood. I have carved sandalwood and I found for me very easy to carve with the older cut woods plus it is a little darker than camphor. This is a camphor chest you can see the grain and colors...mine has some red in it also but that is not the norm. The smell of wet camphor is so strong that my wood chips in the garden for the first few weeks smelled major great.
        Last edited by Dileon; 11-01-2019, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
          07610_Vintage_Chinese_Carved_Camphor_wood_Trunk_Coffer_C1950_17_master.jpgSounds like camphor....the smell is what sells it. If it is camphor finding it today is not easy if not impossible. I just got some camphor it is wet, and was given to me in a trade off for a carving. The smell to me is wonderful....but note it can be toxic so wear a mask. Camphor will hold its smell< so if you sand it or cut it....the smell will come upon old wood. I have carved sandalwood and I found for me very easy to carve with the older cut woods plus it is a little darker than camphor. This is a camphor chest you can see the grain and colors...mine has some red in it also but that is not the norm. The smell of wet camphor is so strong that my wood chips in the garden for the first few weeks smelled major great.
          Hi there Dileon, Thanks for that note. Yeah I know what Camphor smells like , this is real sweet,,,.Love to have that box you have..Now that is a treasure. I only get old diried out wood for my cravings ..
          Chuck
          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post
            What makes it wild now it the number of hardwoods coming in from South America now. Heard about Yellow Wood today - new one like purple heart and blood wood..... translations from other languages can be tough. Some may never know the species.
            Say lionsliar, my grandson is a Navy guy and makes pens in his time off, plus other beautiful wood work. I sent him about 10 pounds 1x6" of purple heart for his projects.. Now that is some puurty stuff. And I like harder woods for better results too.
            Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by jmischel View Post
              I've seen Pecan that looks similar. It's hard and has a pleasing odor, although not real strong. If the odor is very strong, it could be a species in the genus Dalbergia. I've worked with a lot of those, all of which are very hard and many of which have strong, "sweet" smell. All of the rosewood species, for example.
              Now you just happen to have a picture of the don't you.. Or I will look it up. Pecan did not think of that one..Thanks..
              Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post

Say lionsliar, my grandson is a Navy guy and makes pens in his time off, plus other beautiful wood work. I sent him about 10 pounds 1x6" of purple heart for his projects.. Now that is some puurty stuff. And I like harder woods for better results too.
                I've known purple heart for 15 or 20 years now - I have turned it into file handles. Contains a lot of Silica that eats metal for lunch. It is tough like most of the similar "Rose" wood of central and south America. Never heard of Yellow and Blood. New to me. Good for you supporting your grandson. When I lived in the south Pacific we often got exotic wood as braces and crates. It went to the wood shop once taken apart. That was neat for dependents learning wood working.

Comment

Originally posted by lionslair View Post

SNIP When I lived in the south Pacific we often got exotic wood as braces and crates. It went to the wood shop once taken apart. That was neat for dependents learning wood working.
                  My great uncle was an attorney for Gulf Oil in Venezuela for many years. When he and my great aunt moved back home after decades there, all of their household goods were crated with mahogany! Apparently mahogany then and there was equivalent to our pine, plentiful and cheap.This was in the early 1950s. Another manifestation of the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
                  Arthur

Comment

lionslair and Arthur C. ,, I have used some Pallet wood. and found the good stuff in the slats too. esp from, a off shore company . We live close to industrial areas and am always on the look out for" Free wood" . Of course the "best price". And thanks for the comment on our Grandson, I wish I had some pictures of his work.
                    Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    X