Found While Fishing, Found Wood Fishy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike WNC View Post
    Beautiful Ed. You really seem to have carving these fish down. Nice work!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I like carving trout they have a smooth flowing shape, I’m familiar with. People can only really see one side at a time so if they’re a little off who knows. Hell I completely forgot to leave wood for the adipose fin, so just left it off and it’s still a beautiful carving. It’s relaxing to carving such forgiving subjects. Once you sort out attaching the fins they aren’t bad to do.
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

When I see your fish carvings it makes me think I should give one a try. You make an interesting point that symmetry isn’t that important if you can’t view both sides at once. That adipose fin…when fishing steelhead and salmon on the pacific side I remember checking for the fin - hatchery or wild…perhaps your carving is of a hatchery.

Mike

Comment

When I see your fish carvings it makes me think I should give one a try. You make an interesting point that symmetry isn’t that important if you can’t view both sides at once. That adipose fin…when fishing steelhead and salmon on the pacific side I remember checking for the fin - hatchery or wild…perhaps your carving is of a hatchery.

Mike
        Mike,

I always encourage carvers to push their envelope. I realize this is in part because of my own nature. You need to be true to yourself, and if you see yourself putting beautiful in the round carvings on your shelf. I think a trout is a great place to start. First in the round I did was a trout. (Didn’t know about gluing on the fins)

40DB039D-82D1-4EE6-9095-967A38BCE343.jpeg

This again is an area where being in a club was a help since twice a week I had the opportunity to have experienced carves give feed back. You though have this forum. Can’t see why you couldn’t PM photos to some select members for suggestions as you go. (Thinking feedback from open forum could get a little messy) Maybe start a thread “Your Top 10 Tips for Carving a Trout in the Round” and I know your aware of the massive resource YouTube.

You’ve got the skills you’ve got tools sounds like you just need a piece of wood. So why not?
        Last edited by Nebraska; 12-23-2019, 09:39 AM.
        Ed

Comment

Pushing my envelope is exactly what I was thinking as well. I'm having fun with the Santas and wood spirits, and I'm getting more comfortable with the tools, but I've been thinking of trying a carving that doesn't fit in palm of my hand.

I carved two owls this week. That was new for me (if you don't count the one owl I did from Doug Linker's tutorial, which conveniently caught on fire.) The owls are still more caricature than realistic, and still fit in the palm of my hand, but I enjoyed doing both of them. I'll post them when I get some finish on them.

I like your suggestion of PM'ng someone for suggestions and input...what if that happened to be you though.!

If that was your first trout carving (above), wow, it came out great. What wood did you use?

Mike

Comment

Pushing my envelope is exactly what I was thinking as well. I'm having fun with the Santas and wood spirits, and I'm getting more comfortable with the tools, but I've been thinking of trying a carving that doesn't fit in palm of my hand.

I carved two owls this week. That was new for me (if you don't count the one owl I did from Doug Linker's tutorial, which conveniently caught on fire.) The owls are still more caricature than realistic, and still fit in the palm of my hand, but I enjoyed doing both of them. I'll post them when I get some finish on them.

I like your suggestion of PM'ng someone for suggestions and input...what if that happened to be you though.!

If that was your first trout carving (above), wow, it came out great. What wood did you use?

Mike
            Mike,

I actually carved that fish before I started using a vice. I had a flexcut palm handle, five inserts for it and a couple knives. Shocker I’m going to add a photo of this carving box thing that I made after one of the old guys showed me one. I left the last inch of the tail as a block until pretty much done carving the rest of it. The block really stabilized the work on a table top. The box thing likewise support your work while carving. I still use when carving small items you just jam them up against the sides and carve into side. The photo will include the vise I currently use for fish sized projects.

4D04D633-89FC-4159-B927-51EA7490058E.jpeg

I would be honored to be your critical eye and answer any questions I can.

The wood is an interesting story. I had been to a couple meetings with the club when my wife and I took a trip to Denver to visit friends and family. While there we dropped by a Woodcrafter Store. There was a piece wood in the rack labeled basswood. Now I heard the guys talk about basswood so I bought this piece about 2 1/2” X 3 1/2” X 30”. Anyway consensus is that it’s a piece of African mahogany. Nice carving stuff and a bit of beginners luck.

If you see yourself doing large piece as apparently you do, I’d suggest a vise there are homemade options or commercial options. I have an Eli Vise which I certainly recommend it a good solid tool. I’ve recently gone Wilton pow-r-arm because of the turret design it’s more flexible than the Eli. I got my first one one eBay cleaned it up used it for several months and resold for $60 more than I paid. (Getting hydraulic model from Santa)

Ed

Comment

I can see where that carving box would come in handy, would also free up the left hand. Yours looks to be approx. 9" x 6"? I've got some 1x6 pine scrap that I think I could turn in to one of these. A vice may not be in the budget for awhile but a homemade one is probably doable. I remember you posting photos of a homemade vise a month or two ago. I'll go look for the post.

When I enlarged your photo of the trout, mahogany was my first thought. The open grain was what made think so. I'm not familiar with African Mahogany but have messed around with Honduran, not carving. just misc woodworking projects.

Glad to hear Santa's taking care of you! I'm going to go look up the Wilton pow-r-arm...

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X