Just another bark face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another bark face

Have not posted here in quite a while. I’ve been carving for close to 50 years.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Beautiful work, love the eyes, nose, cheeks..just all of it! Is it someone you know?

Comment

No one I know. This was a demonstration piece I used in a class I taught . I finished it after the class.

Comment

Wow! good job, John!
        Herb

Comment

Amazing work, John and fabulous details and composition.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Beautiful carving, John. The face is a great fit for the wood. Thanks for sharing, let's see more!
            Arthur

Comment

The amount of detail you got in the Cottonwood Bark, is exceptional. Well done sir. Can I ask, how do you finish before applying your finish?
              . . .JoeB

Comment

Very nice John. Did you use a stain?
                Joe

Comment

Wow! Beautiful work!

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Surface preparation before painting: a little lite sanding with 220 or 240 grit sandpaper. Doesn’t take much if you use the right size & shape tools to carve with.

Comment

My finishing process:
                      I put the boiled linseed on first and let it dry 24 hours. Then I do what ever painting I want next. An acrylic wash coat is simply acrylic paint thinned way down with water. Because it is so thin don’t load your brush up with to much of the paint because it will run Into areas that you don’t want to it to. First coat may not show much color at all. Dry it with a blow dryer (wife’s discarded hair dryer works). Apply another coat and dry again. As you keep added coats you will see the color develop. The idea is to not have a heavy paint build up, plus it will allow some wood grain to show through the paint. it comes close to a stain but the intensity of color is more controllable by the number of coats you apply. Then I spray the lacquer and let it dry overnight. Next apply the wax and let it dry overnight before buffing. You can speed up drying time with the hair dryer but keep in mind how the wood might respond to a lot oh heat. Better to be patient that having a cracked carving.

Comment

Thanks John. I wouldn't have guessed acrylic paint. I use that all the time. I will try your recipe on some bark carving soon.
                        Yes this is a good place to post your response. I always check here. Thanks again.
                        Joe

Comment

Fantastic. Great details and finish.

Comment

Now that is a beautiful piece of carving and finishing. Well done. The finish is exceptional and I read your method with great interest.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Working...
                            X