Oak burl bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak burl bowl

burlBowl1.jpgThis is the larger of two oak burls that I collected from a friend's property about four years ago. I rough carved both about a week later, and put them up in the garage rafters to dry. I finished the smaller one about 18 months later and gave it to my friend in thanks for the burls.

​​
    I pulled this one down last week, did initial smoothing with the Foredom angle grinder, and then started hand sanding. I took these pictures after dunking it in the pool, the idea being to raise the grain and also to get an approximation of how it'll look when finished. I think one more pass of 150 grit, and I'll call it done. Or maybe I should go up to 220 grit?

Finish will be multiple coats of mineral oil.

Oak burl, 23" x 14" x 5".
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

That's a "gallery grade" piece. Go 220.
    If you don't like that, you an always rough it up with 150.
    I would be honored to sit at your table and be served from that dish.

Just goes to show that from time to time, a carver gets lucky with wood.
    Brian T

Comment

Beautiful piece of wood and visually dizzying with all the features. You are fortunate to have this burl...very.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
        That's a "gallery grade" piece. Go 220.
        If you don't like that, you an always rough it up with 150.
        I would be honored to sit at your table and be served from that dish.

Just goes to show that from time to time, a carver gets lucky with wood.
        Well, if you put it that way . . .

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, the burls were a lucky find. One of the cutoffs is where I got the burl bird that I posted last year.

I'll go ahead and take it to 220.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
          Beautiful piece of wood and visually dizzying with all the features. You are fortunate to have this burl...very.
          "Visually dizzying" is a good way to put it, Bill. Even after pouring several days of my life into this piece, I'm mesmerized by all that's going on in there.

Yes, these two burls were really great finds. Probably my best so far, and that's saying something. I've had some really great finds in the 7 or 8 years since I started looking.

Comment

Wonderful looking bowl. Great Job.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Now that is a Conversation Starter for sure . Beautiful piece of Wood . Merle

Comment

Nice work, Jim - that is a beautiful piece of wood!

Claude
                My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

This will look great sitting on anyone's table, I'll bet it was a little tough to work, but you got it finish nicely.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

That is a lovely piece of burl. It looks great. I have done rifles in Burl timbers and I know how hard it is to work. I hate to think how much effort went into that project. The final look you want is determined by how far down the grade you go with the sandpaper.

I have found that by going down to 2000 grit then hand buffing with a soft cloth brings the wood to a natural sheen before you even apply any type of finish.

If finished with something like tru oil after the sanding the grain really pops and looks fantastic and as you move the wood around in the light the colours will seem to change from dark to light giving an almost kalidoscope effect.

It brings out tiny nuances of figure that you dont see unless you go down that far with the grades. If you have a small piece left over I would give it the works just to see how it comes up for you. Might be good or not so good as it all depends on the wood but worth a try to find out. Walnut burl done this way looks fantastic.

Comment

[QUOTE=I have found that by going down to 2000 grit then hand buffing with a soft cloth brings the wood to a natural sheen before you even apply any type of finish.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Glenn. I'll give it some thought. Will post the result, whatever I decide.

Comment

Beautiful work on an interesting piece of wood. Go to 220 grit or even 400, you wouldn't regret it.

Bob
                        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Well, I took the advice and went to 2000 grit. I had the paper, and thought I had the time. It took most of the weekend, standing at my makeshift carving table in the yard. It was a beautiful weekend, although a bit hot. But I was under an oak tree (not the one this burl came from), and it kept the dust out of the shop.

One thing I learned is that sanding to 220 doesn't reveal all the tool marks. But you get to 800 or so and those tool marks stick out like a fly on white toast. I lost count of the number of times I took the 220 or 300 to a scratch, then had to work my way up the grits again, feathering in the fix. Perhaps worse is all the false alarms. Some of that burl figuring looks an awful lot like tool marks. Maddening.

But it's sanded, and now sitting on the bench with the first coat of oil. Will post again when the finish is done.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Very nice looking piece and looking forward to the finish. I understand the finishing and my sticks go from 60 up to 1400 grit. A real pain, but the final product looks great...as yours will. It is worth the effort.
                            Bill
                            Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Absolutely a beautiful bowl,very nice.
                              Mark N. Akers
                              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Working...
                              X