No announcement yet.

Oak burl bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is turning out MARVELOUS BABY, It is truly going to be a stunning bowl when finish.
    . . .JoeB

Comment

The bowl soaked up more than a quart of mineral oil. There's no surface oil left, so I buffed it up. Need somebody with better photography equipment and knowledge of how to use it. My phone photos don't do it justice. Going to 2000 grit was definitely effort well spent. The thing shines!

burlbowlDone.jpg

Comment

It is a marvelous looking bowl. Well done.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

It looks like a winner and will become a special piece. Phone pictures and better than none.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Sure makes one feel good when your labor turn out so well
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Burl is a bear to even power carve....what did you use to hollow it out? meaning what kind burr or such that is on the angle grinder? I have a bunch of it given to me sitting in the shop. What do you use to fill the holes? if you do that.

Comment

Very nice! I found an oak burl in my firewood pile a few years ago. I turned a bowl on my lathe, which required frequent regrinding of my lathe tools. I left the voids, so it was not useful for much but decoration.

Comment

Hehehehe welcome to super fine sanding. I know what you mean it is a pain but what do you think of the finish is it what you thought it might be?? Nice work !!

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                    Burl is a bear to even power carve....what did you use to hollow it out? meaning what kind burr or such that is on the angle grinder? I have a bunch of it given to me sitting in the shop. What do you use to fill the holes? if you do that.
                    Fortunately, I had carved a smaller burl before I started this one. I tried to use the angle grinder for initial hollowing, but it was just too hard. I did most of the roughing on that one with straight chisels.

For the larger one, I started by drilling a bunch of holes in it. Then I used a mallet and straight chisel to remove most of the wood between the holes. For smoothing, I started with a 4-1/2 inch carbide disc on an angle grinder, followed by 36 grit and 120 grit flap wheels.

burlHoles.jpgburlRough.jpg

Then the Foredom angle grinder with the coarse Typhoon disc for a little detailed shaping. Finished up with several grits of sanding discs on the Foredom before I began hand sanding.

On the outside, I just used the angle grinder to remove the bark and do a little bit of shaping. Then the Foredom and hand sanding. You can see the angle grinder disc in the second photo. It was less than $10 at Harbor Freight.

burlo1.jpgburlo2.jpg

I didn't fill the holes. I thought about it, but never could think of a way to do it that would look better than the natural wood, holes and all.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                      Very nice! I found an oak burl in my firewood pile a few years ago. I turned a bowl on my lathe, which required frequent regrinding of my lathe tools. I left the voids, so it was not useful for much but decoration.
                      Yeah, it is super hard. When I power carved that bird last summer, I was surprised at how hard it is. I carved a lot of hard woods for my Hundred Birds Project, and the burl was right up there with the hardest of them. The unpredictable grain and the frequent voids made it a real chore. Sure turned out nice, though. I kind of like the voids in the bowl. But then, this bowl was always intended as "just a decoration."

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                        Hehehehe welcome to super fine sanding. I know what you mean it is a pain but what do you think of the finish is it what you thought it might be?? Nice work !!
                        It was a lot of work, no doubt. But the result is fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Hi Jmischel
                          Am totally rapt that you got the finish I prayed you would get for all the effort. Awesome and well done you !!!!!

Have left you some notes on wood turning you might find interesting on your reply to my 37 piece stick. Should give you some ideas to make your wood turning really pop with a bit of luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X