A nice face in that hard wood Claude.

Leave a comment:

• mobjack68
    replied
    Nice tribute, great memories...

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Claude nice going buddy. Have come across some real hard wood from time to time making rifle stocks so know how tricky some of the hard woods can be. The kwila I'm using is terrible for needle like splinters and can stick in a half inch before you know it. But the end result is worth the effort. One wrong move and it all gets interesting trying to make a repair that won't be noticed so well done .

Leave a comment:

• jmischel
    replied
    Lookin' good, Claude. Nice wood spirit.

As others have said, the wood looks like Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana). I've never had the pleasure(?) of working with a piece that's as hard as what you describe.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    It looks to me to be some kind of cedar with a white cambium and reddish heartwood. And fully cured cedar is much like what you've described... very easily chipped. Nice wood spirit.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Nice job Claude. The color of the wood and the chipping suggest it could be a old piece of eastern cedar. It can get hard when it dries out. Sounds like you all have a good carving club.

Leave a comment:

• rjrsky
    replied
    Great one Claude.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice work, Claude, but have no idea what type of wood...although you might be training for Mt. Rushmore next.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Well done sir

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Claude , Knife and Hard Wood don't go together for me . I go to Power Tools . What you have done is something else . Like to see it when finished . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Wow Claude its great, for such a hard piece of wood.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    started a topic Wood Spirit

Wood Spirit

One of the members of our carving club, Jim Davis, passed a couple of years ago and left his carving tools and wood to the club. We've been using the tools to let new carvers try out several different styles of handles and blades to see which fits their hands the best. This was one of the pieces of wood. I have no idea what wood it is, but it's hard as rock and chips easily. Jim had roughed out the face, so I went ahead and detailed it. I started with a thick-bladed knife, since the blade is stronger than a thin one. Second cut knocked out a large chip... So I switched to a really thin blade, and started taking tiny, thin, chips off. Only lost one more chip that split off. This is unfinished - just wanted the wood to show. I may put some poly on it later... The piece is just 3.5 inches tall.

Claude
    IMG_6609 copy.jpgIMG_6610a.jpegIMG_6611a.jpg
Working...
X