Cottonwood bark treehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottonwood bark treehouse

Continuing to clear the unfinished projects shelf. I came across this bark house that I bought the blank for in the fall of 2010 after I took Rick Jensen's bark carving class. I started carving on it in 2012 or 2013. I don't remember why I stopped, but I found it when I moved everything into my new shop about 18 months ago.

I also completed another cottonwood bark house that I started in 2016. That one I carved all with power. Not real happy with the way it turned out.

I tried a new finish on the treehouse. Usually I just apply Minwax paste finishing wax, let it dry, and then buff it. Today I applied the paste wax and then spent some time warming it up with the heat gun. After it cooled, I buffed with a nylon brush on my Foredom, and then with an old toothbrush. The other house I just applied the paste wax and buffed. Heating did darken the treehouse, but not as much as mineral oil would have. I might have to experiment with multiple finishes on a single piece to get color variations.

th1.jpghouse1.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmischel; 06-29-2020, 01:13 AM.

Hey Jim Awesome Job I think what you have done with the one on the left with the tree stump is really clever.

I should have something for you to have a look at in 3 or 4 days. You got me thinking about the "round stuff" being boring so have put together a piece that is based on one of your knot bowls. Was about to throw a piece of walnut in the new lathe to do a test "round thing" to modify and saw a bump on the side of it that could have been a bit of burl. So decided to modify that instead.

Trimmed a slice off the wood that would have been turned down anyway and turned it into a knot type bowl. Just a tiny bit of burl in it but not too bad grain so decided to do a piece to show different types of work like I mentioned in a previous post that should give the piece a bit of a boost.

This one will have different woods for contrast, silver wire inlay. pyrography, different texture, and relief scroll carving and cut to a shape to be pleasing to the eye. Well, if all works out that is. Went through the side of the burl and had to do a fix. Made a feature out of a calamity by applying a pyrography "fix" to both the inside and the outside of the bowl part.

All will be revealed in a few days. Hope It gets you fired up to hit the workbench hehehehe. That will be a bit of payback for you getting me all fired up with some good ideas. hehehe. Have a good day!!

Cheers
    Glenn

Comment

Excellent carvings and I am also partial to the one on the left, Jim. Nice composition and appeal.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Jim , definitely Conversation Starters . Good Job . Merle

Comment

Heck, I'm not going to spend my time trying to pick the favorite, I like them both!
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice looking houses. I use pased wax on some projects also. I use a cheep hair dryer. It melts the wax in but will not scorch the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
              Nice looking houses. I use pased wax on some projects also. I use a cheep hair dryer. It melts the wax in but will not scorch the wood.
              I've used a cheap hair dryer in the past. But I was in the shop, where I have a variable-temperature heat gun. I set the temperature pretty low, and kept it moving around the wood so there was no risk of scorching.

Comment

Hi Jim
                How thick does that bark grow?? I dont think we have anything like it over here. Looks like neat stuff to work with.

Comment

Glen, it depends on where the tree grew. When I first heard about CW for carving I went to the Truckee River here in NV and found a large downed tree. The bark was about 3/4" thick. Since the CW I've gotten from Alaska can be 3 to 3-1/2" thick.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Depending upon who is counting, there are 5-6 species of cottonwoods native to North America.
                    We have big cottonwoods (Populus trichocarpa) in low wet sites, usually along river bottom land.
                    4-6' in diameter and 100-125 feet tall. Self-pruning, the branches may be 12" diameter when they come off without a sound in a wind storm. Killed a friend of mine.

The cottonwoods here with the broken dead tops (lightning strikes?) have the thickest bark.
                    Away west of my place, Granisle, BC, there are trees with bark 6" thick.
                    Forget the name of the outfit that sells that xxx good carving bark.
                    Three carvers in this village do bark and nothing else. They don't even answer the phone.
                    Somebody is going around and carving faces in the living trees of the forest.
                    Does no harm to the trees, the bark is dead.
                    I know a place to find a bunch of dragons carved into the trees.

I really like the fantasy houses and faces that carvers do in cottonwood bark.
                    Like snow flakes. Similar but no two ever the same.
                    = = == = =
                    Two questions:

1. For carvings kept indoors, is there any reason for any kind of a finish at all?

2. Is it possible to face a bunch of pieces and do a big glue-up for a larger carving?

Brian T

Comment

Brian, thank my thoughts for what they are worth .

I do some type of finish whether it be acrylic, very little, or Watco Danish Oil, In my opinion, it keeps the bark tighter and less chance of flaking on the fine point like the nose.

I've on a couple of occasions planed down the backs of two pieces, dowelled and glued them with good results, I always Like to have some of the rough outer bak showing on my carving.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Would love to have a go at some of that 6 inch bark but we have nothing like it over here. Darn !! Love what Jim did with this.

Comment

Cottonwood bark can hold some rather intricate detail. Quite impressive.
                          Hand carving and Dremel/Foredom power carving, too.

Holds absolutely no interest for me at all which is odd.

One of the local bark carvers gifted me a sack of really good stuff long ago.
                          I poked and prodded one piece for a few days and gave it all back to him.
                          Brian T

Comment

oops, should have tried it longer
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                            X