Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a turkey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Found a turkey

    I had this chunk of wood laying around the shop for years. I always knew I’d find a purpose but nothing wanted to jump out to me. A week or so ago I walked by it and I thought, that looks like a turkey!

    So I carved a head, added some turkey feathers I had laying around, and added a little paint. I wish I had more feathers to make the tail a little more full, if I collect more maybe I’ll add them in.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Took a while for him to come home to roost, good job
    . . .JoeB

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice turkey and will make a good Thanksgiving mascot.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

      http://www.texaswoodartist.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi, Newsome, Good Eye seeing a Turkey in that Piece of Wood and Good Job bringing to Life. Conversation Starter for sure. Merle

        Comment


        • #5
          Great find Newsome, Kinda makes me wonder how he tastes.
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

          www.spokanecarvers.com

          Comment


          • #6
            The turkey was always there,......... you just had to wait for him to hatch....
            If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

            Comment


            • #7
              I love it. I'll bet that would fetch a pretty penny at an arts and crafts show. Just curious about the Turkey and it's blue head?

              Comment


              • #8
                Good Eye!! That is a great looking turkey. well done.
                We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Don't consider changing anything. You got enough parts to make the illusion. It looks "right."
                  Brian T

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                    Great find Newsome, Kinda makes me wonder how he tastes.
                    Probably a little dry and woody.

                    Nice carving, NewsomeRoad!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Now that is a real classic bit of thinking hehehehehe!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great idea and great use of the found wood medium.
                        Mark N. Akers
                        My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's a great looking turkey. When I try to carve feathers, I will remember your solution.
                          Joe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post
                            I love it. I'll bet that would fetch a pretty penny at an arts and crafts show. Just curious about the Turkey and it's blue head?
                            Eddy...when a turkey is strutting and courting a hen, his head ranges from bright red to blue...hens have the ability to change their head color to white when confronted with a 'threat'...I had twenty hens in my back yard a couple of years ago. I went in to the house and got my turkey call, and when I started sounding like another 'hen', their heads turned white and they went ballistic! They were running around trying to find the new hen!

                            Great looking turkey, by the way !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tbox61 View Post

                              Eddy...when a turkey is strutting and courting a hen, his head ranges from bright red to blue...hens have the ability to change their head color to white when confronted with a 'threat'...I had twenty hens in my back yard a couple of years ago. I went in to the house and got my turkey call, and when I started sounding like another 'hen', their heads turned white and they went ballistic! They were running around trying to find the new hen!

                              Great looking turkey, by the way !
                              Thanks TB! I did not know that. I lived in the country until I was ten and my Dad brought home a live domestic turkey every year. He even let it run around in the kitchen one year before going outside and dispatching it so that Mom could pull it's feathers and dress it out. Up at my place in east Tennessee we always had wild turkeys feeding down by the creek and anytime you drove around them mountains in early morning you could see them strutting around in the adjacent fields. But I never realized that their heads changed colors when threatened or mating. (P.S.... that year Dad let it loose in the house I didn't eat turkey for Thanksgiving! Ha! Ha!)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X