Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worm Riddled Cedar Fish

Hi all,
    Saw this piece of old wormy cedar at an antique store over the weekend and this fish immediately said get me out of here, best part is it was only 10 bucks. Way too brittle for doing any pounding and with all those worm holes I was worried about it breaking to pieces so almost the entire piece was done with an angle grinder. Its 60" long, 16" high and only 1 inch deep. Applied cherry danish oil on the fish and natural danish on the rest of the piece. This was a fun, hope you like him and thanks for looking.
    Dan

Re: Worm Riddled Cedar Fish

Hi Dan, this is really very cool!!!! Looks like an artifact or fossil or something. Great use of the grinder my friend!
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

You knocked that one out the park I love the look.

Comment

Very nice I really like that one. I agree with Sharon it looks like a fossil

Comment

I think it has some depth that we are not considering. Isnt it Ironic that an Eater of worms, was in its own time eaten by worms? Something of a social statement about the Mighty being brought low.
          I for one love it.

Comment

Hi Sharon,
            Glad you like this "fossil", it does have that look. Even though I saw the fish right away, this piece was turned every which way trying to find something else hiding in there, but this guy kept coming back. Thank you my friend, got another going already in a wooden shovel I picked up in the same antique store, its gonna be a "quickie"! Must be the air, been having all kinds of inspiration lately.
            Dan

Comment

Hi Don,
              I keep in mind what you say about "attacking" a piece and not spending too much time on it, definately makes it more fun. Didn't realize how much a person can do with an angle grinder, should've listened to you sooner. Glad you like it and thanks for your nice comments.
              Dan

Comment

Hi Robert,
                Good to hear from you, its been a long time. Thanks for the nice words.
                Dan

Comment

Hi docdredd,
                  Love the way you put it, "the Mighty being brought low", the worms definately had their way with this tree. Appreciate you taking time to comment, thank you.
                  Dan

Comment

As docdredd noted, what irony. A real good job Dan, making a quality piece out of "nothing" meaning the air spaces. The cherry oil is just icing on the cake.

Comment

Thats very cool, nice job. Is it going to be a perminant addition to your garden or was that just for pictures? Thanks for sharing

Eric

Comment

Hi Dick,
                        I was going to lean this up against that oil lamp just for you but changed my mind. The clerk at the shop very sarcastically asked "What the heck you gonna do with that?" told him I was going to make a large fly swatter. Thank you my friend, glad you like him.
                        Dan

Comment

Hi Eric,
                          Its not going to be in the garden, wife already wants it on a wall. I love to fish and believe in catch & release and even though I put him by the water he wouldn't swim away. Appreciate your very kind comments.
                          Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,
                            Excellent work,and the finish is beautiful. Good choice on your wife part to hang it in the house way to nice for the outside.

You TX Friend,

Comment

Hey Bill,
                              Great to hear from you, glad everything is ok, been wonderin', hopefully it'll cool down real soon. Also want to thank you for your very kind words on this wormy fish.
                              Your ole friend,
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X