what do you see?!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you see?!!!!

I spotted this hunk of wood over the hill in the brush 11 years ago when we bought our place and even though at that time I hadn't carved in decades, I knew I wanted to carve it!
    Hauled it up in the yard 2 1/2 years ago when we moved here.
    Been wondering what to carve out of it!
    I'm tired of carving faces!!!! Well, not to tired, just don't want it to look too human.
    I think it's probably a redwood root or big limb, because it's still heavy and seems to have just surface rot.
    It's about 3 ft or so long, about 8- 10 inches in diameter and the long piece sticking out is about 2 ft.
    I see all kinds of critters in it, I just can't make up my mind what to carve.
    When it's done, whatever it is, it will go in our yard.
    SOOOOO!!!!!
    What do you see!!!!!
    It's no contest and you won't get a prize, just help me out with some ideas!
    Thanks for any inspiration!
    Sharon
    And yes, I know I need to pull more weeds in my yard!
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Re: what do you see?!!!!

Here's another view.
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

In pic #1: Big lizard like a goanna, head to the right, tail, lower left. That was instantaneous but I don't see it in the other views.
      Brian T

Comment

Interesting piece of wood, I have no doubt that you'll turn it into a work of art.

Image #5 struck me as a long-necked bird just bobbing on top of the water. Maybe even a Loon should you decide to paint it for sure a Loon.

Very decorative just as is too....

Kathy

Comment

I suck at this kind of stuff. Still trying to find the man in the moon everyone talks about. I can predict a pile of woodchips surrounding it in the future.
          Terry

Comment

Hi Sharon,
            I personally like the 2nd pic best, looks like a tree (upright part) and could be a forest floor with all kinds of small critters in those knots. I do agree with Brian about the Lizard, he's there but being a Midwesterner I'm not very familiar with large lizards.
            Headin' out right now, I'll look again later who knows what might show up, whatever you decide I'm sure we'll all love it.

Dan

Comment

Hey
              the first pic I can see the eyes in the upper part and the piece foward the front I see a large mouth or with some work a large beak. that is what I saw right away in the first pic.

Comment

I see a snake especially in the first picture with it's tail at the left and it's head at the top.

Comment

how about ... oh, nuts. thought i had something

i guess no ideas are coming to me

Comment

Hi Sharon, I see a great piece of Fire Wood. Ha,Ha. My Eyes are not good in seeing things in wood pieces, but I know you are and feel whatever you decide to do with it, it will be Very Good. Looking forward in seeing what you see. Merle

Comment

Hey Lusher, that is very clever! Sharon, I don't think I'm going to be much help here, but I see a Road Runner in Pic #3???? Go figure. I cen see the lizard and the snake as well.

Comment

Hi Sharon, OK here goes.
                        Pic #1- I see a firebird. Long neck with the beak and that little clump off the back is flames from the head.
                        Pic #2 and #5 I see a whimsy type lighthouse setting on the rocks with waves coming up.

Comment

I see you tripping over it if you don't move it off your path! lol

Comment

Sorry Sharon, but when I see nice knarly wood, I see knife handles.

Tom
                            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Looks like a bird to me. You know the soaring kind like Christopher White does. The important thing is to have fun with it.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X