• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM Locust Tree WIP

Untitled WIP
    Medium: New Mexico Locust Tree
    Size: 4' 8" inches Tall x 22" inches round x 7" Across

Hi Gang: Day 1

Has anyone ever carved New Mexico Locust? If so can you please tell me about your experience with it.

My hubby cut one down in the front yard that was to close to the house and really messy...sure got pretty lavender flowers spring all winding up in the garage.

He took the chainsaw to it yesterday and all that is left standing is 4 ft 8 inches.
    So I thought before he removes it I wanted to try carving a woodspirit into it.

This morning I took my mallet and chisel and roughed out the area where I want the face and beard. I couldn't believe how easy the bark came off and down to carving wood.
    So that is where I'm at now.

As always comments are very welcome,
    Kathy

Re: NM Locust Tree WIP

It's going to be great Kathy! looks like it will be a fun project too!
    My ETSY shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Thank you, Sharon
      Will start fresh on it Sunday, today I had carving club always fun lot's of laughs and good friendship.
      I've never carved Locust before so it will be a new experience. One thing about it I don't have to lock it down or brace it. tee hee
      Kathy

Comment

I'll be watching Kathy!
        My ETSY shop:

Comment

Hi Sharon & the Gang:

Sunday, Day 2 got a late start on my woodspirit today, but got quite a bit of roughing-in done. I think my arms are going to be sore until I finish with the mallet work. I do have a Weecher power chisel unit that I probably should be using. I just feel at this stage I have better control with my mallet.

Funny thing on the left eye what looks like I may have drawn an eyeball---I didn't it's a natural stain in the wood. You just never know...it's all but perfect.

Sorry about the shadows on the carving I'll get some more pictures tomorrow morning.

As always I value your comments,
          Kathy

Comment

Hi All: Carving Day Three

Tried using my Weecher chisel carver on this carving with little success. Just not powerful enough to run the chisels though the wood. So will stick with the good old tried and true Mallet tools and Rubber Mallet.

Made for progress today and starting feel like this woodfellow may just have a place in our front yard. I've had neighbors stopping by to see what the heck I was doing. Some said I'd love one in their yard......I didn't give them much encouragement. tee hee

As always I value your comments,
            Kathy

Comment

He's coming along nicely Kathy. I have not been game enough to date to attempt a spirit. One of these days....

Comment

Originally posted by Josef View Post
                He's coming along nicely Kathy. I have not been game enough to date to attempt a spirit. One of these days....
                Hi Josef:
                Thank you, this is my first attempt at carving a woodspirit in a tree. I have seen your carvings and I don't think you would have any trouble carving a woodspirit.

They are such characters and no two ever seem to come out the same--even though I begin with the same technique. Check-out Mark Gargac on this site he does wonderful woodspirits.

I thank you, very much for taking the time to look at my WIP woodspirit and for taking the time to give me your comment.
                Kathy

Comment

Looks like it's coming along great, Kathy...can't wait to see the finished project!
                  Keep On Carvin'
                  Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

Hi Kathy, you sure picked out a good project. Take your time and you will have a Winner. Looking forward in seeing it finished. Merle

Comment

Bob K. & Merle:

Thank you, fellas for your nice compliments so much appreciated.

I worked on it some more this afternoon when the sun got a little lower. I'll take some pictures when the sun gets off the front of the house...to much glare right now.

I'm really enjoying carving this tall stump...my first. My left mallet arm is getting a little sore. grin

I'll get a rest tomorrow as I work at the Mountain Artist Gallery and share Hosting with my fellow artists.

Well enough yak yak from me........
                      Kathy

Comment

Day Four

Worked on the carving for about two hours this afternoon...morning had a friend over she basket weaving and me still painting ornaments.

Here is where I'm at today, won't carve tomorrow or the next day. Thursday I get to be one of the craft Judges for the Fair. Looking forward to the experience.

As always I appreciate your comments,
                        Kathy

Comment

Kathy,

Much fun. Locust man is really starting to take shape. Thanks for all the updates. After reading how tough locust is to work, I admire you for selecting it for your first stump carving. By the time you finish your arms could be the envy of many a body builder. Carve on!
                          Jay

Comment

Hi Jay, thank you
                            I really am enjoying my first stump even if it's locust wood. Yeah I know one thing my left shoulder was sore last night. Got up this morning thinking it would still be sore, but it wasn't. Depending on which side of the carving I work on I change mallet hands as I'm am-mer-dexterious.
                            Thanks for taking a look at my humble attempt.
                            Love your work by the way.
                            Kathy

Comment

Kathy, he's still looking great!
                              He's still attached to the ground, right? I could see were that would get really tiring on your shoulder.
                              My ETSY shop:

Comment

Working...
                              X