Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle in Black Cherry

Hi,
    This was an easy find out of my deadfall stash, the hump in the wood, almost burl jumped out at me because I knew it would have fantastic grain. Released him with angle & die grinders then the Dremel and finally some hand tools for his eyes and legs then sanded the heck out of the shell down to steel wool for a beautiful sheen. The entire piece is approx. 12 x 12 x 8 with Natural Danish Oil then a heavy coating of poly on the shell only. Thanks for looking.
    Dan
    Attached Files

Re: Turtle in Black Cherry

I really like the colours the oil brought out.
    Great carving.

Comment

Hey Dan, there is great color variation between the turtle and the shell, is that just the difference between the just oil and the oil and poly?
      Do you wait the 72 hrs as the Danish oil suggests on the can?

Excellent work sir!
      . . .JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Boy Dan, you removed a lot of wood on this one. The gloss on the shell really sets it apart, and looks great.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Steev,
          Glad you like him, thank you very much.

Dan

Comment

Hi JoeB,
            Sanding the shell down to steel wool is what makes the biggest difference in this piece of wood. Only put Poly on the shell and didn\'t sand the rest of the piece. To me the shell is the focal point in this carving which is where I spent the most time.
            You asked if I followed the directions on the can, I know it isn\'t the right thing to do but I NEVER read directions, I\'m one of those my way or the highway guys......trial and error, been that way all my life, too late to change now.
            Thanks for your interest and kind words.
            Dan

Comment

Hi Tom,
              Yes, removed a BUNCH of wood but with the aggressive wheels and burrs it doesn\'t take long and believe me I put the tools to a test every time I carve, hog it off!!!
              Thanks Tom, appreciate you taking time to leave your comments.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan, Dam, That is Simply Beautiful. The Contrast between the Finishes is Outstanding. Just another piece of your Art. Stay Well Ole Friend. Merle

Comment

Certainly agree with all the comments on this one. Outstanding

Tinwood

Comment

Excellent work!

Claude
                    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Hi Merle,
                      He\'s one of my favorites too, you made my day ole buddy, thank you.

Dan

Comment

Hi Tinwood,
                        I appreciate your very nice comments, thank you.

Dan

Comment

Hi Claude,
                          If I had to do it then it would be work, but I love to release the critters I find so its fun. Glad you like him, thanks!

Dan

Comment

Great work Dan. I have a hawk bust in wild cherry that is down close to the sanding part. It is a stylized pose using one wing as the base (pose design by Marlen Downing). That wood is beautiful and hard. I cannot work on this piece until I get a couple of others complete; probably be somewhere around the end of the year before I get back to it.

I have really enjoyed all of your work in found wood. I may have to try this someday; but, I have too many started projects to look that far ahead.

Comment

Hi Paul,
                              Looking forward to seeing your Hawk bust, be sure to post it.
                              I love Cherry wood, lucky to have a good supply from a deadfall here. Also lucked out at my brother\'s because he asked me to cut down a row of Cedar, I believe Eastern Red Cedar, a windrow that are all gnarly with at least a Million critters hiding in them, maybe not quite a million but there are a bunch. Other than the trunk, there are lots of limbs that will make great staffs & canes. Can\'t wait!
                              Glad you like what I do, thanks, Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X