I Hate To Admit It, I'm A Hoarder!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate To Admit It, I'm A Hoarder!

During my 54-years of "Adult" life I have hoarded!. There, I've admitted it. Starting back in the 60's I started saving every wood screw, nail, machine screw, nuts, bolts and other miscellaneous fasteners that anyone gave me or were left over from a project or piece of equipment I assembled or worked on. And while over the years it has been worth it's weight in gold, when ever I or someone else has needed a fastener, I am now left with the task of getting them organized and /or deep-sixed! I'm in the process of removing them from three large plastic, drawer-ed containers to a 5- bin Craftsman tool trolley. The only problem I have is that the Craftsman chest is chock full of old tools that I have collected over the years. It was much fuller to begin with. I took the very old tools up to the cabin in Tennessee and mounted them on the walls as decorations a number of years ago. I've since cleared two drawers and have emptied one of the plastic containers filling both of them (I re-used the little plastic drawers so as to keep everything organized). I still have the bottom three bins (the largest ones) filled with old tools and I need at least one more drawer for fasteners. I'm trying to pawn them off to my kids and grand-kids. I've been mildly successful but still have a long way to go. If nothing else works I may hold a FREE Garage Sale. There's only a couple of old tools of any value left but I've looked on ebay and for what I'd get for them it's not worth my time and trouble. My biggest problem is that the amount of tools left are so heavy that I need to go out and buy a couple of plastic containers just to get them to the curb! So I keep asking myself, "Why did I ever save all this STUFF!"

The same reason I have a half a cat litter bucket full of rusty nails, screws and whatever other metal object that was cleaned up, pulled out or other wise from a construction project that took place at my house in the Summer of 2008. My question: how do I get rid of it without it ending up in some poor soul(s) tires?

Bob L

Comment

Easy as can be. Easy.
      You start asking around to find an "art welder" that makes animals and sculptures out of iron junk.
      You take all your junk over there and dump it in their driveway.

Local in my village does dogs and birds and dragons. She's very, very good at it.
      Brian T

Comment

Most metal can bring a little change at recyclers. When we did out clear out, we took a pick up load to be recycled.

Comment

DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY !........ guarantee if you do you'll need that item within a week,.... it never fails
          If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

I never have bulk metal to get rid of. All the iron stuff goes to the art welder. Even old rusty nails become teeth and claws and eye lashes!
            I will try to recycle aluminum, copper and brass but I have to drive 2.5 hrs to the city to do that. Al-cans, often the school kids do bottle drives
            to support one adventure or another, good way to unload my closet!

We had a bottle depot place but it closed, they claimed it wasn't self-supporting.
            The one in the city is huge. They claim the profit goes into washing the floors.
            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
              DON'T THROW ANYTHING AWAY !........ guarantee if you do you'll need that item within a week,.... it never fails
              I agree with this 110 percent....those tons of buckets of screws and nails and tools......are always being dug through for the last minute to do list. If I did not have them I would be pounding on the neighbor's doors asking him if he had any......then I would be a pest instead of a Hoarder.

Comment

Come on Eddy, you are just getting even with Navy's lack of storage space aboard a ship!
                Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
                  The same reason I have a half a cat litter bucket full of rusty nails, screws and whatever other metal object that was cleaned up, pulled out or other wise from a construction project that took place at my house in the Summer of 2008. My question: how do I get rid of it without it ending up in some poor soul(s) tires?

Bob L
                  Bob.... Have you got any guys that run around the neighborhood collecting metal before trash day?

Comment

Originally posted by sappy View Post
                    Most metal can bring a little change at recyclers. When we did out clear out, we took a pick up load to be recycled.
                    Sappy...If it comes to that I'll let my boy take it in. **** if I want to pick up a stray piece of metal in one of my tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                      Soggy, that's my problem. I've been saying exactly the same thing for over 50-years!

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                        I never have bulk metal to get rid of. All the iron stuff goes to the art welder. Even old rusty nails become teeth and claws and eye lashes!
                        I will try to recycle aluminum, copper and brass but I have to drive 2.5 hrs to the city to do that. Al-cans, often the school kids do bottle drives
                        to support one adventure or another, good way to unload my closet!

We had a bottle depot place but it closed, they claimed it wasn't self-supporting.
                        The one in the city is huge. They claim the profit goes into washing the floors.
                        Rob... This kind of construction would have a hard time passing US or Canadian building codes but it's just what the doctor ordered for Third World countries. https://insteading.com/blog/plastic-bottle-homes/

Comment

Yeah...I do. He actually lives up the street from me. I'll have to drop by and give it to him. Thanks Eddy!

Bob L

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy31 View Post
                            Come on Eddy, you are just getting even with Navy's lack of storage space aboard a ship!
                            Oscar
                            I can not tell a lie! Some of my non-ferrous nuts, bolts and screws are from my Navy days when I was aboard a minesweeper.

Comment

"I Hate To Admit It, I'm A Hoarder!"

Aren't we supposed to be???? If something wears out or brakes I tear it down for parts. And, those small chunks of wood that get trimmed off while doing a cutout, oh it almost brakes my arm to throw them away. We weren't rich we weren't poor when I was growing up, but it seemed people judge a man by not how new but how long a person could keep something going. Just the habit of keeping repairs or stuff came with the area,
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                              X