Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian T
    replied
    Thanks, great link. Nothing that looks the least like branch wood of any kind. Ruler-straight logs.
    They burn their off cut scrap.

I "over-haul" my scrap = "haul" it out back and toss it "over" the neighbor's fence for his firepit.
    Some carving starts have been really embarrassing failures in great wood.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall and watch what goes on in Heineke's saw mill.
    I'll predict that it's all mainstem northern wood from flat ground.
    The branches go to the craft stores.
    This is about all I could find on the web, Brian: https://www.facebook.com/31505075193...type=1&theater

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall and watch what goes on in Heineke's saw mill.
    I'll predict that it's all mainstem northern wood from flat ground.
    The branches go to the craft stores.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    [QUOTE=Rodster;n1140251][FONT=comic sans ms][SIZE=16px]I ordered last month by email and it came through just fine. I like dealing with Hienecke. They are casual in manner, but the job gets done. SNIP

I agree, Rodster, there's something comfortable in dealing with people on a more personal basis...sure, their technology is way behind the times, but guess what? I like that! They are customer oriented, you don't get shunted to an incompetent, disinterested rep in India, they provide a quality, custom cut product, and their prices are competitive. They are a rather quaint company, and I wish there were more around like that.

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    I ordered last month by email and it came through just fine. I like dealing with Hienecke. They are casual in manner, but the job gets done. Also I was interested to hear about auditory difficulties. I have a bit of that from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Aural Cognitive Dysfunction!!! Happy to have a name put to it. Conversations, for me, are difficult resulting from both the hearing dysfunction and from a stroke I suffered in 2010.

I don't know if they even have a name for a stroke victim's inability to speak the word that they are attempting. I know the word, mentally see the word ~ but am unable to verbalize it. Usually, these are common words that name an object or person. Diana has learned the signs and will supply it for me. Once it has been spoken ~ I am able to use the word in a continuing conversation.

I have learned, the hard way, that saying I have a hearing problem ~ is almost instantly forgotten by others. Long ago Diana learned that it did not embarrass me for her to step in and say, "Paul has a very bad hearing problem" and then telling me what was actually said. Misunderstanding is a major obstacle. I often "get it wrong". It is pervasive and I often have no idea that my response made no sense. I realized sometime back that I was using lip reading to clarify what I thought I was hearing.

The most difficult complication with severe hearing impairment is that there are no indications to those with whom you are interacting. Some advice to those attempting a conversation with those of us who don't hear very well:
    • Face me, allow me to see your lips.
    • Raise the volume of your voice but there is little need to shout.
    • Lower the pitch of your voice. I have almost no ability to hear soprano and above.
    • Slow your speech so that I am able to recognize the words.
    • Speak distinctly.
    • I am aware of my problem. Repeat if you think I misunderstood.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Yeah, just spoken english. It's a little bit volume, it's a little bit frequency but I just don't recognize the words.
    My housekeeper is pretty good but I think I'm trying to lip read. On the land line, she's 100% understandable.
    The gardener is very soft-spoken, I keep asking him to speak up. When he turns his head away and talks, I can't figure anything out!
    The doctor is just as bad. Him, I keep reminding as well.

Concerts and theatrical stuff is out of the question. The front row is no better.
    The idiots that take fast food orders should be working out of sight in the back.
    I sometimes watch TV when there's Closed Captioning.
    The speech recognition software that the news media use is really primitive.

One night when was just me & the cat, I turned up the TV sound to as loud as it would go.
    BTW, that's a scale that goes to 50! Anyway, loud isn't better, more funny but not better.

*****, *****, moan, crab & complain. . . .. . .

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Back ground noise? That's part of the pile of reasons that encouraged me to retire. Even college classrooms are bad for "white noise."

Any of you have "Aural Cognitive Disfunction?" Stand in front of me, talk to me. I will agree that you speak loudly enough and clearly enough.
    However, the sounds that you make do not match words in my head. Some people do. Land line telephone is mostly good.
    I am losing my ability to understand English, my native language. Background noise and I am done and finished = isolated.
    I hesitate. I'm not being rude. I'm trying to guess at what you just said to me.
    Wow, Brian, I'm sorry to hear that! From the name of the condition, am I correct that it only affects oral communication, i.e., it doesn't affect understanding of the written word?

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Back ground noise? That's part of the pile of reasons that encouraged me to retire. Even college classrooms are bad for "white noise."

Any of you have "Aural Cognitive Disfunction?" Stand in front of me, talk to me. I will agree that you speak loudly enough and clearly enough.
    However, the sounds that you make do not match words in my head. Some people do. Land line telephone is mostly good.
    I am losing my ability to understand English, my native language. Background noise and I am done and finished = isolated.
    I hesitate. I'm not being rude. I'm trying to guess at what you just said to me.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
    Bill, I understand your reticence with the telephone. Even with my hearing aids, I have a problem with and dread talking on the phone. I seldom initiate a call. Even when I do ~ I often end up saying, "I am hearing impaired and am handing the phone to my wife. She will be our "go between". My real nemesis is restaurants. Noise, young folks who just seem to refuse to speak louder ~ Diana does my ordering for me.
    Paul... Don't you just hate the background noises in a restaurant or some other public place. Many times my wife and I go out and we end up starring at each other because the background is so loud that I'm left with trying to read her lips.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Thanks Merle. I just checked and my last order was in May, and like you, no problems. They might just have a computer glitch or something. Great wood, great people, and a nice place to do business with...no complaints.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    I placed an Order about a month ago and received it with out any problems. Merle

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    OK Arthur and sounds like we have enough for a club.

One benefit is the machine/saw noises don't bother me.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
    Bill, I understand your reticence with the telephone. Even with my hearing aids, I have a problem with and dread talking on the phone. I seldom initiate a call. Even when I do ~ I often end up saying, "I am hearing impaired and am handing the phone to my wife. She will be our "go between". My real nemesis is restaurants. Noise, young folks who just seem to refuse to speak louder ~ Diana does my ordering for me.
    Paul and Bill, can I relate! I couldn't hear squat in restaurants, so I got hearing aids that supposedly could "discriminate" and allow me to hear conversations while more or less suppressing background noise. What a crock that is! Still can't hear in restaurants, seems like everyone mumbles...and as you know, those hearing aids are obscenely expensive! They sit unused in boxes.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Same thing here Paul. My hearing loss is the higher frequencies, so I can hardly understand female voices...even with hearing aids. I haven't found a good fix for the problem and with the hearing aids cranked up, ambient noises pound through my head.

Toss in someone without good pronunciation, or an accent, and it is impossible.

So, my wife is also the "go-between." However if it is a technical call or a subject she doesn't understand, then things get difficult.

Such is life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X