Need Some Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice

I'm working on a carving that will have small, about 3" diameter, body of water on the base. Question is what to use for the water? I want to color it blue/green & have a fish jumping out of it. Acryllic came to mind 1st but I've never worked with it. Maybe epoxy instead? Thx in advance for your help.

You could always use a mirror, unless you want the entire scene in wood. Check model train layouts for colors and such
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have a friend who made a career out of building museum neolithic/stone age displays. The people were about 2X the size of a Barbie doll.
      He used 1/4" thick Plexiglas for water (fishing scenes, etc). Then he poured a thin top layer to get ripples and fish jumping.
      Even the ripples from a kid skipping a flat stone across the water!

He made them like that so he could model the bottom features that you would expect to see in shallow clear water.
      Brian T

Comment

One of my other hobbies I want to get into is model railroading. Woodland Scenics makes products that make realistic water.

Here is a link to the water section on their website:

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen...category/Water

Comment

I ended up buying a acrylic water kit at Walmart. Tried it out on a scrap piece that had several smaller contours like I will need to fill. The instructions said mix all of bottle "a" with all of bottle "b". So a 50/50 should work. I used a digital food scale & measure out an equal amount of each using the tare function between pours. Mixed it good. First pour went in clear to a blue painted cavity. The second into a green painted cavity. Then I tried to mix acrylic paint into the rest just for an experiment. It didn't "dissolve" like I had hoped for. Instructions said 24-48 hrs to dry. Three days later it was still tacky like flypaper & soft when touched with a fingernail. So I measured out just some of part "a" & added the acrylic paint to tint it. Worked great. Tinted the material like I had hoped for. Then added the part "b" hardener about 10-15% more than the 50/50 ratio per the instructions. Mixed it well. Poured another test cavity. About 2-3 days later I checked it. Much harder than the 1st test & just slightly tacky. Enough to leave a fingerprint if pressed hard. So I sealed it with spray polyurethane. All is good. Won't try this again. At least not the stuff from Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Harley View Post
            I ended up buying a acrylic water kit at Walmart. Tried it out on a scrap piece that had several smaller contours like I will need to fill. The instructions said mix all of bottle "a" with all of bottle "b". So a 50/50 should work. I used a digital food scale & measure out an equal amount of each using the tare function between pours. Mixed it good. First pour went in clear to a blue painted cavity. The second into a green painted cavity. Then I tried to mix acrylic paint into the rest just for an experiment. It didn't "dissolve" like I had hoped for. Instructions said 24-48 hrs to dry. Three days later it was still tacky like flypaper & soft when touched with a fingernail. So I measured out just some of part "a" & added the acrylic paint to tint it. Worked great. Tinted the material like I had hoped for. Then added the part "b" hardener about 10-15% more than the 50/50 ratio per the instructions. Mixed it well. Poured another test cavity. About 2-3 days later I checked it. Much harder than the 1st test & just slightly tacky. Enough to leave a fingerprint if pressed hard. So I sealed it with spray polyurethane. All is good. Won't try this again. At least not the stuff from Walmart.
            Uncle... Not quite sure what Walmart sells but my wife made a seashell diorama using a product sold at Michaels. She was even able to make it look like surf. I believe that it was something from "Woodlands Scenic s."

Comment

As eddy suggested Woodland Scenics has a couple of products that work well. I got it on Amazon..
              Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

The best way to find out is do a search on taxidermy habitat.... These people make landscapes for stuffed animals that look real. You can buy the supplies and go to forums and watch youtube videos on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Dileon View Post
                  The best way to find out is do a search on taxidermy habitat.... These people make landscapes for stuffed animals that look real. You can buy the supplies and go to forums and watch youtube videos on the subject.
                  That is a great idea, too. Van Dyke's Taxidermy Supply is the big player in that arena. They are owned by Cabela's and now Bass Pro Shops. I would suspect they get their lifelike water stuff from Woodland Scenics...which by the way is a great company. All of their stuff is American made in Missouri!

Comment

Working...
                  X