Need Some Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice

I'm working on a carving that will have small, about 3" diameter, body of water on the base. Question is what to use for the water? I want to color it blue/green & have a fish jumping out of it. Acryllic came to mind 1st but I've never worked with it. Maybe epoxy instead? Thx in advance for your help.

You could always use a mirror, unless you want the entire scene in wood. Check model train layouts for colors and such
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have a friend who made a career out of building museum neolithic/stone age displays. The people were about 2X the size of a Barbie doll.
      He used 1/4" thick Plexiglas for water (fishing scenes, etc). Then he poured a thin top layer to get ripples and fish jumping.
      Even the ripples from a kid skipping a flat stone across the water!

He made them like that so he could model the bottom features that you would expect to see in shallow clear water.
      Brian T

Comment

One of my other hobbies I want to get into is model railroading. Woodland Scenics makes products that make realistic water.

Here is a link to the water section on their website:

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen...category/Water

Comment

I ended up buying a acrylic water kit at Walmart. Tried it out on a scrap piece that had several smaller contours like I will need to fill. The instructions said mix all of bottle "a" with all of bottle "b". So a 50/50 should work. I used a digital food scale & measure out an equal amount of each using the tare function between pours. Mixed it good. First pour went in clear to a blue painted cavity. The second into a green painted cavity. Then I tried to mix acrylic paint into the rest just for an experiment. It didn't "dissolve" like I had hoped for. Instructions said 24-48 hrs to dry. Three days later it was still tacky like flypaper & soft when touched with a fingernail. So I measured out just some of part "a" & added the acrylic paint to tint it. Worked great. Tinted the material like I had hoped for. Then added the part "b" hardener about 10-15% more than the 50/50 ratio per the instructions. Mixed it well. Poured another test cavity. About 2-3 days later I checked it. Much harder than the 1st test & just slightly tacky. Enough to leave a fingerprint if pressed hard. So I sealed it with spray polyurethane. All is good. Won't try this again. At least not the stuff from Walmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Harley View Post
            I ended up buying a acrylic water kit at Walmart. Tried it out on a scrap piece that had several smaller contours like I will need to fill. The instructions said mix all of bottle "a" with all of bottle "b". So a 50/50 should work. I used a digital food scale & measure out an equal amount of each using the tare function between pours. Mixed it good. First pour went in clear to a blue painted cavity. The second into a green painted cavity. Then I tried to mix acrylic paint into the rest just for an experiment. It didn't "dissolve" like I had hoped for. Instructions said 24-48 hrs to dry. Three days later it was still tacky like flypaper & soft when touched with a fingernail. So I measured out just some of part "a" & added the acrylic paint to tint it. Worked great. Tinted the material like I had hoped for. Then added the part "b" hardener about 10-15% more than the 50/50 ratio per the instructions. Mixed it well. Poured another test cavity. About 2-3 days later I checked it. Much harder than the 1st test & just slightly tacky. Enough to leave a fingerprint if pressed hard. So I sealed it with spray polyurethane. All is good. Won't try this again. At least not the stuff from Walmart.
            Uncle... Not quite sure what Walmart sells but my wife made a seashell diorama using a product sold at Michaels. She was even able to make it look like surf. I believe that it was something from "Woodlands Scenic s."

Comment

As eddy suggested Woodland Scenics has a couple of products that work well. I got it on Amazon..
              Randy

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!

Comment

Working...
              X