Strange wood defect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange wood defect

Hello everyone. I am carving a relief in a afzelia wood plank, a type of wood found in my country. After carving for a while, I encountered a long vein in the wood made of a hard, brittle, black-gray material. It is much harder than the wood, and breaks into powder that looks like sand when cut. Already it has chipped the edge of one of my lower quality tools. Anyone here knows what type of defect this is? Thank you.

What country are you from? Can you tell us more about that wood, what it's generally used for, is it considered a hardwood, how does it carve except for the vein mentioned? Is the wood resinous?
    Arthur

Comment

Here in the islands....if the wood has black streak......, means there was metal in the wood. Sound like the metal has dissolved the most part, what remained chipped a tool, which happens when you hit metal. Here the wood grows fast and lots of metal gets bury in it especially wire. wire fencing , nails and etc. so when you see that black which is not the normal color of wood, means watch out. Here is a little information as to why the black color and what causes it.

In wood species that lack tannins, iron merely rusts, giving a brown stain to the wood surrounding the metal. The iron also causes slight degradation of the wood near it (often referred to as “wood sickness”). This discoloration develops over many months or years of exposure.
      In wood species that have tannins, a chemical reaction takes place between the metal and the tannins. Tannins are just one of the many chemicals (extractives) in wood. Species such as the cedars, the oaks, and redwood are rich in tannins. Iron reacts immediately with the tannins to give a blue-black discoloration.
      Last edited by Dileon; 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Resin pockets are naturally occuring features of many species of woody plants.
        One approach is to continue with your carving and finish,
        Then fill the pocket with something attractive ( metal, stone, etc).
        Brian T

Comment

Working...
        X