Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rambling Thoughts on Basswood…..

Rambling Thoughts on Basswood…..
    I was sorting out some of the basswood that I keep on hand and noticed that on a couple of the 2’ x 2’ x 12 pieces of Northern Basswood that I’d purchased at Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers when they were still in business , ranged in price from $2.50 to $2.75 per 12” piece. It’s been at least 5-years since I was at the store and of course, we all know that they aren’t in business anymore. But it got me wondering just how much wood carvers pay for Northern Basswood these days. So, I went on line and compiled the following list.

Heinecke Wood Products 2x2x12 = $2.45
    Gregg Dorance 2x2x12 = $5.65
    Woodcraft 2x2x12 = $10.99
    Treeline 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 12 = $4.95
    Chipping Away 2x3x12 = $4.00
    Mountain Woodcarvers 2x2x12 = $4.75

Amazon, Etsy, Michaels and other on-line craft stores prices vary greatly for different size pieces and different amounts but as an example, Michaels lists a 1.75 x 3 x 7 = $10.99
    In addition to the basic cost of the wood you need to add in shipping unless you’re one of the lucky ones to live nearby one of these stores. Also, if you order from other than a woodcarving supplier, you’re not always guaranteed to get northern basswood. Not everyone’s definition of where north begins is the same. Then there is the actual size of the pieces advertised. Are they listed at their common sizes or actual sizes?

But what is the best wood? In my opinion the best basswood I’ve ever had I obtained awhile back from Susique. And why was it the best? It was free. And you can’t beat that price.

That works out to $7.42 per board foot for Heineke, $17.12 for Dorrance, $33.30 for WoodCraft, $15.00 for Treeline, $12.12 for Chipping Away, and $14.39 for Mtn. Woodcarvers. I have found that Heineke tries to keep their basswood around $8.00 per board foot, which is reasonable and what it has been running for a couple of year.

When you put it in a board foot comparison, you can really see how out of the market some of these folks are...

Comment

Good information Eddy, Thanks. This sport is getting more expensive as time slips me by
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Nice summary Eddy and I can also add https://arrowheadwoodproducts.com/ but haven't ordered from them...anyone else ordered?

My last 2 orders from Heinecke lacked in the quality from the past. Don't want to debate anything, just passing along my personal opinion about it.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I have recently bought from arrowhead and found their wood, prices and shipping to be very good. I know lots of people like
          Heineke but I find their lack of online ordering to be off-putting to me.

Comment

Can you put any numbers on "quality?" Same carver, same knife, same sharpening technique, how do you judge?

I'm still carving mostly western red cedar form the BC interior. I have some stuff from the coast. Source isn't too important.
            Besides straight grain and no knots, the one number that I want is ring count = how many growth rings per inch.
            15 - 40 rimgs/inch carves like hard cheese. Less than 12/inch is punky soft no matter how sharp the edges are.
            More than 50/inch is very stiff, boney, but managable. In any case, all the sap wood, about 1/2 - 1" thick, has to come off first. Any method is good.

So if you start to do ring counts in bass wood, do they matter at all?
            Brian T

Comment

Looks like Heinecke wins the price war hands down and from my experience their's is still the best northern basswood you can buy anywhere. I just received some yesterday! I agree to a point that it's a bit inconvenient that they don't have online ordering but I don't have any problem with getting on the phone and making a personal call to a live person on the other end to place my order. It takes no longer than it does to order online and you get the added pleasure of speaking with someone pleasant on the phone...the way it used to be in life!
              Keep On Carvin'
              Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

That for taking the time to put together the info! And on top of that, it is good wood
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Di plays pelican with wood.....means throw me a fish from the fisherman's wharf...... meaning please give me your throw away wood, please do not burn it!!! ...from top furniture makers and bowl turners. The only wood I purchase is basswood from the mainland I have grown not like basswood our humidity makes it fuzz like crazy. Woodcraft you can pay as much as double the price as what's in mainland store due to the shipping cost which makes,......it untouchable, there is no way to make a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmg View Post
                    I have recently bought from arrowhead and found their wood, prices and shipping to be very good. I know lots of people like
                    Heineke but I find their lack of online ordering to be off-putting to me.
                    Thanks for the feedback and glad to see they are decent. Might give them a try on my next order. I did order some basswood and butternut from another vendor who stopped selling and they recommended Arrowhead.

Ordering from Heinecke just requires an email which isn't a big problem for me...I'm adaptable...but their quality was "iffy" as I mentioned.

Again, thanks.
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I agree that Heinecke is a good source. I used Itasca in the past, too. But I guess I'm an oddball. I like pine--Lowe's or Home Depot eastern white pine--knots and cracks and all.

Bob L

Comment

I recently got an order in from Heinecke (ordered by email), and the quality is excellent, as good as ever. They are certainly easy and pleasant to deal with, and I find the inability to order directly online to be a very minor inconvenience. Just my personal experience and opinion.
                        Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by tbox61 View Post
                          That works out to $7.42 per board foot for Heineke, $17.12 for Dorrance, $33.30 for WoodCraft, $15.00 for Treeline, $12.12 for Chipping Away, and $14.39 for Mtn. Woodcarvers. I have found that Heineke tries to keep their basswood around $8.00 per board foot, which is reasonable and what it has been running for a couple of year.

When you put it in a board foot comparison, you can really see how out of the market some of these folks are...
                          I can readily understand a mark-up based on availability, transportation and handling but almost a 500% increase for Amazon and Woodcraft is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                            Good information Eddy, Thanks. This sport is getting more expensive as time slips me by
                            Tom...Everything is getting expensive these days. It's getting harder for retired folks to cover all their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                              Nice summary Eddy and I can also add https://arrowheadwoodproducts.com/ but haven't ordered from them...anyone else ordered?

My last 2 orders from Heinecke lacked in the quality from the past. Don't want to debate anything, just passing along my personal opinion about it.
                              Woodburner... Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Comment

Working...
                              X