Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barkwood...Help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Barkwood...Help!

    I just placed an order with Heinicke and they informed me they no longer carry barkwood. Can anyone recommend a supplier for good quality barkwood that they've actually tried? I was trapped by circumstances into carving a piece from Hobby Lobby, and it's the worst experience I've ever had with carving...hard all over, twisty grain in parts, punky in other parts, but I'm under a deadline so have to go forward with it.
    Arthur

  • #2
    Give George Bledsoe a call or email at:

    http://www.loesshillssawmill.com/

    He saws his own wood, so may be able to provide some bark-wood. He's in Glenwood, Iowa and I've been to his mill several times while on the road to Omaha. I can't say he has bark-wood for certain (as I wasn't looking for any) but I do buy a lot of basswood from him. In my opinion, his wood is just as good as Heinicke, and cheaper. He is the wood vendor at several workshops/shows, including Gretna and Kansas City. He is also a good source for butternut and cottonwood bark.... see pics on his blog.
    ....Dave
    Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
    www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Another source is Moore's wood and rough-outs:

      http://www.roughouts.com/index.html


      I don't see it on their website, but I have seen several carvings in their bark-wood (others in my carving group bought and carved), and the wood looked good. I've seen their bark-wood at the Ozark Carving Seminar put on by John Engler in Springfield, MO, and all their wood looked good (bought pieces of no-bark basswood and tupelo and was very good). For what it's worth, I doubt John would use them for a wood vendor every year since I've been going there, if it wasn't good stuff. Sorry... but I haven't carved any of it either, but thought I'd respond to your request.
      ....Dave
      Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
      www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, Dave, I'll check 'em out!
        Arthur

        Comment


        • #5
          You're welcome.
          ....Dave
          Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
          www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dave.keele View Post
            Give George Bledsoe a call or email at:

            http://www.loesshillssawmill.com/

            He saws his own wood, so may be able to provide some bark-wood. He's in Glenwood, Iowa and I've been to his mill several times while on the road to Omaha. I can't say he has bark-wood for certain (as I wasn't looking for any) but I do buy a lot of basswood from him. In my opinion, his wood is just as good as Heinicke, and cheaper. He is the wood vendor at several workshops/shows, including Gretna and Kansas City. He is also a good source for butternut and cottonwood bark.... see pics on his blog.
            Thanks for an option, Dave, since my last two deliveries from Heinecke weren't up to their standards. Also, my basswood supplier went away.

            Thanks again.
            Bill
            Living among knives and fire.

            http://www.westernwoodartist.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
              I just placed an order with Heinicke and they informed me they no longer carry barkwood. Can anyone recommend a supplier for good quality barkwood that they've actually tried? I was trapped by circumstances into carving a piece from Hobby Lobby, and it's the worst experience I've ever had with carving...hard all over, twisty grain in parts, punky in other parts, but I'm under a deadline so have to go forward with it.
              Not familiar with the word "barkwood" is this slab with the bark on the sides
              . . .JoeB

              Comment


              • #8
                I could make a snotty remark about dogs but will restrain myself. I think it refers to the bark on edges of square wood and on the edges of ovals...at least from my woodburning experiences, Joe.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

                http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is it live-edge wood panels?
                  Is it maybe cottonwood tree bark?
                  There are several good sources for that, even 6" thick.
                  Brian T

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post

                    Not familiar with the word "barkwood" is this slab with the bark on the sides
                    Yep, you got it, Joe!
                    Arthur

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
                      I could make a snotty remark about dogs but will restrain myself. I think it refers to the bark on edges of square wood and on the edges of ovals...at least from my woodburning experiences, Joe.
                      Well, I'm not interested in ovals for carving, as that's all end grain, but I am looking for the panels with bark on two edges.
                      Arthur

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                        Is it live-edge wood panels?
                        Is it maybe cottonwood tree bark?
                        There are several good sources for that, even 6" thick.
                        Yeah, Brian, I wasn't very specific,was I?
                        Arthur

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK. Up here at 54N, such things are called "live-edge panels" or "live edge boards."

                          If I guess this right, www.cottonwood.com is west over in a place called Granisle, BC.
                          They cut 6" bark, as good as it gets. They might cut live-edge stuff, you would have to ask them.
                          Brian T

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would carve an old table leg before I ever carved a piece of wood from a craft store!
                            Keep On Carvin'
                            Bob K.

                            My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving


                            My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9


                            My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood


                            My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

                              Well, I'm not interested in ovals for carving, as that's all end grain, but I am looking for the panels with bark on two edges.
                              Yes, I understand Arthur and just reflecting on how I used it for pyrography and no, I wouldn't try to carve it. However, the rectangular pieces I have used were with the bark on two edges for various projects. It may have come from Heinecke but that was years ago.

                              Sorry for any confusion.
                              Bill
                              Living among knives and fire.

                              http://www.westernwoodartist.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X