X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave.keele View Post
    Another source is Moore's wood and rough-outs:

http://www.roughouts.com/index.html

I don't see it on their website, but I have seen several carvings in their bark-wood (others in my carving group bought and carved), and the wood looked good. I've seen their bark-wood at the Ozark Carving Seminar put on by John Engler in Springfield, MO, and all their wood looked good (bought pieces of no-bark basswood and tupelo and was very good). For what it's worth, I doubt John would use them for a wood vendor every year since I've been going there, if it wasn't good stuff. Sorry... but I haven't carved any of it either, but thought I'd respond to your request.
    Dave, I made (for me) a fairly large order from John, and while I haven't carved it yet, it's beautiful basswood, the largest bark-edge panels I've ever gotten. Doorbell rang at 8:00 PM, and there sat a 38 pound box from John and a somewhat smaller order from Heineicke...just like Christmas! One of my sons said I had enough wood to last me 'til I'm 80...I reminded him that would just need to be a two year supply.
    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

Dave, I made (for me) a fairly large order from John, and while I haven't carved it yet, it's beautiful basswood, the largest bark-edge panels I've ever gotten. Doorbell rang at 8:00 PM, and there sat a 38 pound box from John and a somewhat smaller order from Heineicke...just like Christmas! One of my sons said I had enough wood to last me 'til I'm 80...I reminded him that would just need to be a two year supply.
      Good to know!
      ....Dave
      Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
      www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Sometimes a photo is worth a thousand words, Here is a basswood carving with bark on two edges. Note that the width is determined by nature rather than the sawmill. This limits the market for the wood and therefor it's availability.

heron1.jpg

Comment

I heard from Dale Heinecke last night, and they do no longer handle the live edge basswood boards.

I did a search this morning and found the following sites:
          Home Depot
          Rockler
          And surprise, surprise Amazon, my favorite go-to place. They list "Wilson" & "Walnut Hollow" live edge boards. It seems someone was saying the Wilson product was of good quality.

Anyway FYI
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Everyone

I thought I would introduce myself since Dave mentioned me in a post. My name is George Bledsoe I am a woodcarver and also own a portable sawmill. I have been cutting basswood and butternut logs I get from Northern Minnesota for about 10 or 15 years. I go to several shows in my area and also sell online. I also sell cottonwood bark and love carving that as well. I am not big on self promotion and I know many people have a source for carving wood but if I can help you or you want to try a different supplier feel free to check out my site.
            The boards that have bark still intact on them I have always called "bark on boards" pretty straight forward that is what John Krantz always called them. John Krantz is how I got started in working with carving woods prior to that it was always hardwoods but I cut some butternut logs up for my brother in law that John provided to him and sort of got carried away. I am just a one man show no employes no store just me and my sawmill and a solar kiln. I hope I can be of help to some of you.
            Thanks

George

Comment

Thanks George Bledsoe. I don't think it violates forum rules to include a link to your online site: www.loesshillssawmill/com

Comment

I made a recent order from George and the butternut is great, and the basswood is nice and whitish...although I won't get some carved for a few days. The dimensions vary on two sides, meaning two sides are 1X1, but two sides are a tad less. Same for the other sizes. I can work around it and the butternut quality is superb. I will be getting more and specify the dimensions I want...if possible.

Welcome George and this forum is a great place.
                Bill
                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
                X