Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonial Cypress

Hello Everyone,

I purchased some wood about a year ago called Colonial Cypress. Has anyone here carved it? Or thought about using it to work with? If so can you share your opinion about it?

Thanks,
    Shawna

I'm not familiar with the Colonial Cypress, but recently read an article about it...could even have been in WCI? The wood is now recovered from logs that sank years ago from around old sawmills.

Maybe someone else has seen the article? I'll post if my brain co-operates later.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

OK, there is an article in fall 2019 of WCI about it.
      Bill

Comment

That's another term for "sinker cypress." It's most desirable for furniture and cabinetry. I've never carved it, but regular cypress carves rather well. Sinker cypress, I would imagine, could vary widely from log to log, and from sap wood to heart wood, depending on the location where it was grown and then submerged. Let us know what you think after carving on it.
        Arthur

Comment

I bought it at the end of 2017. ( I just checked the receipt) I was searching for different types of wood to carve and I thought the info/history of it was unique, past and present. I made a caricature elephant from it and an owl ( Dougs Owls) from it. It's easy to carve like basswood. I didn't know that when I purchased it. I thought if it was hard or soft I would just carve it the best way I know how. It's a nice brownish red. I was hoping someone here carved it to compare color, density, likes or dislikes.

Comment

Please post a picture of the carvings some time. Sure would appreciate it because it is a wood I am not familiar with, but love the history of it. Was it expensive?

You would really like the article in the fall issue of Woodcarving Illustrated. It shows pictures of some carvings that were done with it...and history. Might be able to buy a back issue?
            Bill

Comment

[QUOTE=woodburner807;n1163126 SNIP
              You would really like the article in the fall issue of Woodcarving Illustrated. It shows pictures of some carvings that were done with it...and history. Might be able to buy a back issue?[/QUOTE]

Fall issue should still be available at bookstores such as Barnes & Noble.
              Last edited by Arthur C.; 09-12-2019, 07:19 AM. Reason: Typo
              Arthur

Comment

Hello,

Bill, I'm going to post some pics of the owl/s I bought it in September of 2017 ordered them from woodcraft.com I ordered 2 2x2x12 at $6.90 a piece and 1 3x3x12 at $15.30. not including s/h, they were not planed so I had to use gloves. Expensive ?, for a newbie to carving I guess it was. I had heard stories about the sinker logs/ colonial cypress a long time ago. I was surprised to see it so I purchased it. My logic for buying it was this, I used to smoke cigarettes, a pack cost more than the 2x2x12. :-)

Arthur , I probably will buy the article I'm curious to read their input on that part of history.

Comment

Working...
                X