Old Cedar Fence Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Cedar Fence Posts

I have a lot of 80 to 100 year old cedar fence posts. I don't know how it carves but I'm working on a buggy spring chair and using the wood on it. I just wanted to share what it looks like when I split it into 1 inch boards. It is absolutely beautiful wood. IMG_3746.jpg

Wow Neb, it must be dry by now. Yes, it is a beautiful wood but not familiar with cedar. Is it Western? Any smell to it? You might have a woodcarvers gold mine.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Not 100% sure but I beleive it is called Rocky Mountain Cedar. I have hundreds of them at the ranch and they were used for fencing in the 1800's and early 1900's. If you google cedar carved ducks you will see what some carve from the cedar post. Yes, they do smell like cedar and is beautiful in colour. I'm sure you have seen them in life or in pictures from the west of fence lines built with cedar split posts.

Comment

Just did a Google search and it looks like it is a variation of Juniper...based on the name. Regardless, beautiful reddish wood and your lucky to have it. Heck, try to carve it...who knows.
        Bill

Comment

Wow neb, You are going to be busy. It's amazing how cedar lasts so long.
          Last edited by Tom Ellis; 01-14-2020, 12:10 AM.
          If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

After a couple of decades, I'll say those posts are western red cedar (Thuja plicata).
            Common names are often so local or regional.

The neat thing, other than small story poles, is that you can cut and plane pieces
            for glue ups of just wonderful wood for larger carvings.

What does the ring count per inch look like? 15 - 40 is the best range for carving.
            Brian T

Comment

^ not sure but will do some looking to see if I can count the rings. As for being western red cedar you could be right on that. I'm not sure but it is some very nice looking wood when it is oiled etc.. Here is an idea what the wood looks like finished and what the posts look like naturally.
              image_19134.jpg
              Last edited by neb; 01-14-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Certainly a beautiful wood. Stunning, Neb.
                Bill

Comment

I see snow on the ground! You've got to be someplace up north. If those poles had been in the ground down here in Florida they'd be saw-dust by now. We've got termites that eat concrete as a snack!

Comment

^ Lol ya I'm so far north I'm just a rock throw away from being in a different country. The cedar fence posts have been used as fence posts till this last summer in ground and barbwire attached in pastures. Yes they been in the ground for most likely 100 years or plus. To cold here for bugs and also keeps out the riff raff. Lol
                    Last edited by neb; 01-14-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I will never pass a row of fence posts the same way anymore. Beautiful wood, and very nice ducks!

Comment

Working...
                      X