atlantic white cedar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atlantic white cedar

My father has a few dozen firewood size logs of atlantic white cedar. Their diameters range from 6" - 12" and lengths range from 6" - 18". The trees were dead in a neighbor's back yard for quite some time. They dried standing and lost most of their bark. My dad cut them about 7 years ago thinking he'd get into wood carving or make fishing lures out of them. They've been stored in a dry place since then. I've included photos of one of the logs. There are not many knots, but there are cracks as you can see. Dad is downsizing and wonders if there is a market for them - if someone might like to purchase them for carving as opposed to him putting them into his fire pit. He is located in Northern New Jersey.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

Would be nice to display the interior. Those cracks are lines of natural weakness. Follow the biggest and split the wood to reveal the inside. One or two, I think we can assume that they are all pretty much the same.

All the cedars split really easily. Not too many carvers are willing to work in wood where important pieces pop off when you least expect it. I've carved western red cedar for years and, over time, "learned" the wood. What I can and can't do. Some claim it's a personality flaw.
    Brian T

Comment

If i was digging through a wood pile looking for carving wood, I would skip over all those as my experience is that if they have long cracks along the length of the log there's not going to be a large clear piece of carving wood there. My opinion is the fire pit.

Comment

I wouldn't be so quick to deep six it. Back many years ago when I was still working I joined a group of mountain carvers up in Tennessee during my annual vacation. Up to that point I'd only carved fishing lures but I was handed a red cedar log, split up one side and down the other and challenged to create a woodspirit from it. It's not my finest piece of work but my wife likes the look of it and uses it as a knick knack on the bookcase. The project taught me two things; my first lesson in carving woodspirits and second, letting the wood take you where it wants to go and appreciating found wood.Red_Cedar_Log_Woodspirit (Large).jpg

Comment

I split one of them as recommended and here are the photos. Perhaps I'll try a fishing lure forum as that is a suggested use here. I'm in the Northeast and there is a fair amount of striper fishing. Perhaps since the lures are generally less than 10" long and 2" across, there wouldn't be as much concern regarding the cracks.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Decoy carving is big down near Egg Harbor area. Not sure if a decoy carver would be interested since they're split. But half an atlantic white cedar log might be good for the body--even a rough decoy--and then the head/neck would be separate.

BobL
            Exit 10

Comment

Working...
            X