Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Arthur, just got an Order from Heinecke today and will give Loess a try next time . Quality and Save a Buck your talking my Language. Thanks Merle

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Reed View Post
    George is a good guy, but his basswood is not stellar. I recommend Heinicke.
    Have to disagree with you, Steve. I've used Loess and Heinecke and find them to be equally fine carving wood. My last two orders have been from Loess (first was because H. no longer sells bark-on), and I am currently carving Loess basswood. I find it entirely satisfactory and substantially less expensive, as is their butternut. Everyone has their preferences, though!

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Tim , Your right it works like you said , Thanks . Merle

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Hi Jeff, not in my Computer . After I hit Shop the next Page shows Sizes , when hit Sizes it tells you to Add to Cart . Don't want it added till I know the Price . I'm sure it's a good Company but could do better if they post the Price . Just my View . Merle
    Merle, their site is a bit clunky, but when you select a size, the price is shown above and before you add it to your cart. See the screenshot below. For a 3x3x18 inch piece, the price is $9.75. As you select different sizes, the price above changes accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Screenshot 2021-07-08 220528.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PittsburghTim; 07-08-2021, 10:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Jeff, not in my Computer . After I hit Shop the next Page shows Sizes , when hit Sizes it tells you to Add to Cart . Don't want it added till I know the Price . I'm sure it's a good Company but could do better if they post the Price . Just my View . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Williams
    replied
    Hi Merle, if you go to the linked page below, scroll down to what you're interested in and hit the "Shop" button. There should be pricing on that next page. You can add what you want to your cart, and the total will be there.

http://www.loesshillssawmill.com/

-Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    I went to their Site and it looks like you must buy before knowing the Price. Their is an Expression for that , ( pig in a Poke ) . I like to know the Price before I buy anything . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Curly Early
    replied
    Having heard good about George, I ordered a box of bark from him. He was certainly nice to deal with and I was quite satisfied with my shipment of bark. I would recommend him for sure.

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    I guess wood is highly subjective! I’ve used Heinecke wood but prefer basswood from George @ Loess. I find his wood is much easier to carve. He will also accommodate cutting wood down into small blocks (1 x 1 x 3-inches, which I like to work with). I find Loess to be cheaper as well for the wood (the shipping cost is the same). He ships pretty fast too.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    George is a good guy, but his basswood is not stellar. I recommend Heinicke.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Fine place and have ordered from him and as if you are specific in your email request...he does great. Keep in mind his butternut can have borer holes in it. Not a big problem since butternut is getting hard to find and what is out there usually has the borer holes.

Leave a comment:

• Gfhwoodwerks
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
    I think their wood is as good as any out there, and their prices on basswood and butternut are the best I've found. They also carry bark-on basswood. George is a nice guy to deal with, too.
    I agree on the last comment. I've been taking to George in email and have found him to be very helpful and appreciate his response time. I'm looking forward to ordering and getting some wood from him.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    I think their wood is as good as any out there, and their prices on basswood and butternut are the best I've found. They also carry bark-on basswood. George is a nice guy to deal with, too.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    I use and promote them when ever the opportunity arises. This is carved from a glue up I put together from wood from Loess Hills.
    AC816DA3-89B7-4FFA-94DD-BCCE72811DF7.jpeg

Leave a comment:

• 5akman
    replied
    I've purchased quite a bit of basswood from them over this last year with no complaints. I don't however, have much to compare them to as my prior basswood purchases had been from ebay sellers. I do plan on continuing to buy from them as I need material.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X