No announcement yet.

Old growth redwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did one carving in redwood, the worst part was the grain pattern soaked in the humidity and would swell higher than the rest of the grain, no matter how much I sanded that down it would pop right back up....the redwood went into the hopeless to work with pile and the carving went into the trash can.... Do not work in high breakage wood unless I have tons of time for repairs and new plans.

Comment

Ah, you people! Never fall in love with anything carved in cedars or redwood. There's a maximum level of detail that you have to learn and it isn't very much. The wood allows for nothing more.

3 carvings die
      3 become the living dead
      3 finish up looking quite nice
      1 is everything I hoped for

That's cedar carving.

PacNW First Nations have had hundreds if not thousands of years to figure this out.
      For breathtaking detail, almost microscopic, everybody uses alder. There's a set of 6 teaspoons in a case in the UBC/MOA = each handle is a carved animal fur and all. Alder. I found it hard to look away, they are so well carved.
      Brian T

Comment

Joe, coats of arms are a mess if you really want an authentic one for an individual. Just because a coat of arms matches a surname, it doesn't mean a given person is entitled to it; as a matter of fact, coats were given to individuals so the closest most can get is one that an ancestor was entitled to. As a practical matter to protect yourself, I'd ask the person to give you a design to work from, or tell hi you're going to design a new coat just for him!
        Arthur

Comment

Yes Wayne it is "en" spelling, not the "an". They are to give me more info∙∙∙ù
          Got some more info this afternoon. The original spelling is Mc Clennan. still not finding a Coat-of-Arm=more research
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Yes, the C-O-A is in his corner to come up with the design
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Yes Wayne it is "en" spelling, not the "an". They are to give me more info∙∙∙ù
              Got some more info this afternoon. The original spelling is Mc Clennan. still not finding a Coat-of-Arm=more research
              look under family crest....instead of coat of arms...and the spelling could be wrong.... there is also a Scottish clan name. McLennan. I know for myself the family name changed three times before it is what is today. When they came to America, they had to change their name to more American.

Comment

Thanks, Di, think I'm getting things kind of screwed in on my end, just wait for Mikes's father-in-law to pull the trigger.

Found this website=https://www.houseofnames.com/mcclennan-family-crest/?A=54323-224
                . . .JoeB

Comment

On red wood and cedar I have turn to power carving the detail. Less tear out and can get smaller detail. This is a cedar walking stick.
                  36198150-DBB7-4278-8662-62BDCDCCF302.jpeg
                  Ps! Dust control a must.
                  Last edited by Randy; 06-30-2021, 09:38 AM.
                  We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                  https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Of course! A power carving burr is a thousand little gouges for details. Nice stick.
                    Does the same technique work in hardwoods like walnut or butternut?

There is a political concept in the Pacific Northwest to keep meetings in order.
                    "The Speaker's Stick". About 60" tall and carved. Whoever holds the stick is the only person allowed to speak and they are required to tell the truth. Remarkable success.
                    Some First Nations use an eagle feather for the same purpose.
                    Brian T

Comment

Working...
                    X