Basswood Cost Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basswood Cost Comparison

Checked today, Heinecke cost for basswood is $8.20 per board foot up to 3" thick, 4" is $9.10 per bf. Loess Hills is $5.50 per bf.
    Heinecke is 49% more expensive. I personally find both to be very satisfactory quality. This is just for your information.
    Arthur

Just received an order of basswood and butternut from Loess Hills a few days ago...very satisfied with the product.
    KEEP YOUR GRATITUDE HIGHER THAN YOUR EXPECTATIONS

Comment

I'm puzzled with the pricing you've quoted, Arthur. I just received two basswood blanks from Heinecke - 5/4 x 12" x 15" and 5/4 15" x 15" - $75 plus shipping. I'm always pleased with the quality of the wood.

Comment

Arthur , this probably isn't going to make you feel any better , but I recently purchased my yearly supply of basswood, and boy was it a shocker . 3" x 7" kiln dry and rough sawn basswood is $11.20 (canadian) per board ft. and I had to drive to the supplier to pick it up... 300 miles round trip. I checked through some old invoices and found one dated in 2016 and 3x7 was $ 6.85 per bdft then. I mentioned this to a friend, and he said " you'll soon have to give up carving ". My answer to him was " it's still cheaper than hunting , fishing or golf "......
        Wayne
        If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Have you all looked into the prices for Yellow Cedar? It's just about as featureless as basswood and does not splinter and pop-out like any of the other common conifers (spruce/pine/fir/cedar).
          I can pick through a lift of 3" x 6" x 8' pieces for $6.99/bdft.

Lots of people like to carve YC, they like the smell. I think it smells like an old gym bag.

I can get big wood (12" x 24" x 72" and bigger) for the same price.
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
            I'm puzzled with the pricing you've quoted, Arthur. I just received two basswood blanks from Heinecke - 5/4 x 12" x 15" and 5/4 15" x 15" - $75 plus shipping. I'm always pleased with the quality of the wood.
            My pricing comes straight from Loess Hills and Heinecke Monday by email, so it is accurate.
            Last edited by Arthur C.; 08-24-2021, 07:44 AM.
            Arthur

Comment

Arthur - I am not questioning your veracity. If a board foot is 1" x 12" x 12", I cannot find a way to the total price of the two pieces. Both involve glue-up, but the larger piece is only $4 more than the in-stock piece.
              Last edited by pallin; 08-24-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                Arthur - I am not questioning your veracity. If a board foot is 1" x 12" x 12", I cannot find a way to the total price of the two pieces. Both involve glue-up, but the larger piece is only $4 more than the in-stock piece.
                Phil, I understood what you were saying, and I think you were grossly overcharged. I'm probably figuring it wrong, but I calculate the cost for the two pieces should be $28.81.

I would contact Tim at Heinecke and ask how the charge was calculated. Seems odd, too, that pieces that size would have to be glueups...they aren't that large...wonder if they charge extra for glueups. If you look into it, please let us know what you find out.
                Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy View Post
                  Arthur , this probably isn't going to make you feel any better , but I recently purchased my yearly supply of basswood, and boy was it a shocker . 3" x 7" kiln dry and rough sawn basswood is $11.20 (canadian) per board ft. and I had to drive to the supplier to pick it up... 300 miles round trip. I checked through some old invoices and found one dated in 2016 and 3x7 was $ 6.85 per bdft then. I mentioned this to a friend, and he said " you'll soon have to give up carving ". My answer to him was " it's still cheaper than hunting , fishing or golf "......
                  Wayne
                  Saw an article on Fox News or possible NBC that wood prices are starting to come down. It makes me wonder how the industry sets their pricing in the first place. Is carving wood in the same classification as construction materials? Doesn't seem logical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

Saw an article on Fox News or possible NBC that wood prices are starting to come down. It makes me wonder how the industry sets their pricing in the first place. Is carving wood in the same classification as construction materials? Doesn't seem logical to me.
                    I wouldn't think they're related, Eddy. The demand for carving wood shouldn't vary as much as the demand for construction materials.
                    Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post

I wouldn't think they're related, Eddy. The demand for carving wood shouldn't vary as much as the demand for construction materials.
                      I agree but I'm sure that wouldn't stop less scrupulous sellers from jacking the price up. However, with that said I've previously ordered from Heinecke and found their product to be most reasonable and of good quality. The price difference amazes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy-Smiles View Post

I agree but I'm sure that wouldn't stop less scrupulous sellers from jacking the price up. However, with that said I've previously ordered from Heinecke and found their product to be most reasonable and of good quality. The price difference amazes me.
                        Yeah, it amazes me too, Eddie. I don't understand it. Last time I checked a while back, H was only about a buck higher than Loess.
                        Arthur

Comment

My last order was also from loess hill. What also made it cheaper is the send it parcel post.

Comment

Ghessh, I was just in a wood shop here locally. They have Basswood , 36" x 4"x 6" pieces $70.00 . I did not wish to get any at this time as you may know I prefer more tense material, I picked a piece of Spalted Maple 1-3/4" x11"x14" for $15.00. Now I have to find something todo with it. This place has all kinds of wood here and the first time I have had a chance to get in. And when the wife and I went in I ask after seeing prices on the wood "is this per foot? He said no that's per piece? .. May haps I should take a second trip?
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

That works out to about $8.00/bd ft, Chuck... For spalted Maple... The basswood is $11.67/bd ft.

Claude
                              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                              X