Basswood Egg expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basswood Egg expectations?

I just ordered some basswood eggs for the first time and I want to see if my expectations are too high/incorrect.

When they arrived I noticed two things:

-- Some of them have very small flat spots near the top and one has a bit of a flat spot on the one side. Is this normal? For my use I don't think this will matter but I was a little surprised.

-- All of them have the bottoms flattened so they sit without a base/egg holder. I'm not sure this bothers me but I didn't expect this as it was not mentioned in the description. Is it assumed that wood eggs have flat bottoms unless it specifically says otherwise?

These were ordered from a reputable vendor, I mostly want to know what the expectations are for these -- I am not trying to attack any vendors.

Thanks,

B~

I find the flat bottoms a plus, as far as the other concerns, they should be manageable. I'm sure these might be mass turned/produced, so to expect some defect is to be expected.
    . . .JoeB

Comment

I'm with Joe.... The flat bottoms seem to come in handy more than the oval ones. As for production faults I'd have to say unless you visit a brick and mortar store and hand pick the eggs yourself that you're going to get some that are imperfect. I've done quite a bit of egg carving and have made multiple orders from multiple sources. The only time that I've never received an imperfect Chicken or Goose egg was when I picked them out myself at the Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers Store in Townsend, Tennessee. That's not to say that the box to select from didn't contain any imperfect eggs, only that I just selected the ones that looked the best. However, the solution to the problem is to work the imperfection into the design of your project.

Comment

I assume you are chip carvjng the basswood eggs. The carved egg could be supported on the thin rod or wire.

egg1.jpg

Comment

Phil, they are also great for doing relief carving
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I wasn't trying to complain I just wanted to get a better understanding of expectations! Seems like these are in line with what is normal.

B~

Comment

I also would like some guidance. I am wanting to try my hand at carving eggs. Just want to know what is the norm. I understand they are NOT all going to be “perfect” or without blemishes, but want to know the tolerances somewhat. I have seen a large price different from vendor to vendor per egg.

Comment

I'd expect that the higher the price, the better the egg, but these days quality has been pretty bad. I volunteered as a Scout leader for 15+ years and bought various items to make awards out of. I never saw an egg (for instance) that wasn't egg-shaped. I've not been a leader since '05, due to work requirements, so things have obviously changed for the worse.

Comment

Working...
                X