X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by Steev View Post
    Guy at my carving club was working on a piece of walnut just like that this week. He took a couple of cuts with a gouge and changed straight to power carving. He's making a sign with a lobster icon.
    I understand! I will have to take it outside to do anything like that. POWER CARVING THAT IS! I have a 1' Bear that is going out too.
    But MMMmnnnnn a fishy thing might be good too.
    Thanks
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    Nice to have, Chuck. What about splitting it and carving the pieces?

Bill, If you look at it real close you can see the cracks and dryness. But yes I had thought of that too, I am sanding one side down to have a Looksee.
    Cheers Chuck oh and how do you like Texas now?

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied
    Guy at my carving club was working on a piece of walnut just like that this week. He took a couple of cuts with a gouge and changed straight to power carving. He's making a sign with a lobster icon.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice to have, Chuck. What about splitting it and carving the pieces?

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by sappy View Post
    I like the table idea, the flat edge would fit nicely against a wall.
    Hey Sappy, This thing has a bow in it about 1" deep. "table" eh, more like a Salad Bowl. HA. And having ablast trying to sand it, it was cut with a chainsaw too thin and it is something..

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by mpounders View Post
    Well, a slice or round of wood like that means everything you carve will be into the end grain, which can be difficult and it won't hold details real well. It will soak up paint, because it is end grain, and even wood burning might not be very visible, especially after you finish it. All of this is just my opinion and my experience, so it doesn't mean you have to take my word for it! I mostly use pieces like this as a base for another carving. Maybe try carving a shallow bowl or dish out of it? Some people make tables out of such as this, if it is large enough, and may may fill cracks and crevices with epoxy resin.
    Your last sentence is just about it.. I was thinking "maaybee" a good soaking with a clear sealer, then after it is tight enough, to perhaps try to do some kind of relief (sp) picture in it? The grains going everywhere is going tobe a challenge, and all the cracks if you have looked at it closley .
    Just wood !

Leave a comment:

• sappy
    replied
    I like the table idea, the flat edge would fit nicely against a wall.

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied
    Well, a slice or round of wood like that means everything you carve will be into the end grain, which can be difficult and it won't hold details real well. It will soak up paint, because it is end grain, and even wood burning might not be very visible, especially after you finish it. All of this is just my opinion and my experience, so it doesn't mean you have to take my word for it! I mostly use pieces like this as a base for another carving. Maybe try carving a shallow bowl or dish out of it? Some people make tables out of such as this, if it is large enough, and may may fill cracks and crevices with epoxy resin.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    started a topic Just anouther piece of wood

Just anouther piece of wood

Well we went to visit this logger guy. Whilst in his shop he says' " Chuck what can you do with this old Walnut?" I looked at it and it was covered with dirt, sawdust and spidey webs, I says," Don, Burn it" Him , "I have had it for over 20 years and it has a need"
    So sucker me, I brought it home and started cleaning it up. It has more cracks than the earths crust. BUT I see something here.. And am open to any suggestions, No a firepit is not an option.. Oh it is about 2.5 ft high 3" think and at the widest about 1.5 ft.
    So to here it is.. Walnutchunk.jpg
    Last edited by NoDNA; 06-10-2022, 03:59 PM. Reason: Sizes
Working...
X